a silly question about strawberry feeding

• 13 Replies

Ralphy

a silly question about strawberry feeding
« on: May 20, 2011, 23:37 »
this is my first proper year with strawbs, i got 12 dormant runners of the Florence variety last spring, deblossomed them, to develop the crowns and then  trained the runners in the summer and now i've got about 30 lovely looking plants that are just setting fruit, every now and again i've been giving them a very dilute feed with tomato fertilizer, but i honestly don't know how much or how often to feed them, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!  :)
is pottering about a vocation?

Trillium

Re: a silly question about strawberry feeding
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 04:46 »
Strawbs should not be fed before the harvest is finished. Otherwise, it makes the fruit soft and watery, and prone to mold. After the harvest is finished, trim off all the old larger leaves, and feed with either a fertilizer or manure.

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 08:07 »
A friend of mine grow's Strawbs commercially and his watering system automatically doses the feed with every watering session which is 3 times a day.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 08:12 »
If you Google "Feeding Strawberries", it appers the jury's out on this.

There are some interesting images though!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 08:49 »

There are some interesting images though!

8)  :lol:

I think the jury's out on just about every single aspect of strawberry growing; productive lifespan, to allow (or not) to fruit in first year, how many runners (if any) to allow (and when), whether rotation is required to prevent disease build up, and of course feeding ALL seem to attract completely opposing opinions and advice if you have a browse around on the web!  :ohmy:  :nowink:

Nothing grows well on my sandy soil without additional feeding so that decision is made for me, but I couldn't advise about either that or any other aspect of strawberry growing to anyone else with much confidence at all.  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

fatcat1955

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 09:02 »
3 plants to a grow bag watered with feed 3 times a day, all runners cut off, the whole lot thrown away after 3 years. It is cheaper (10p a plant) for him to buy new rather than propagate. Best tasting strawberries i have had . Raspberries grown in 10in pots, same watering regime all runners pulled out, i havn't tasted any yet but can't wait.

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 12:59 »
So... to feed or not to feed?  :blush: I have some strawberry as well, but i will not go to feed them until autumn(i fertilized soil before planting). Is that correct? Just i am not very good with berries  :blush:

JayG, i envy you. Honestly. I have too much clay  :(

Ralphy

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 15:20 »
thanks for the help, folks. everything i've googled seems fairly contradictory, the most common answer seems to be to feed sparingly after the fruit starts setting, and after picking, but not before flowering as the strawbs get too happy and just put on foliage. although theres tons of contrary opinions as well. i guess all i can take from this is that they're fairly tolerant no matter what you do!

Nige2Plots

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 17:58 »
I use Fish, Blood and Bone as it is a slow release fertilizer over a period of time.

digalotty

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 18:07 »
my neighbour uses bfb in early spring and her strawberry's are twice the size of mine
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 19:11 »
If they're in a container rather than the ground, I'm assuming they'll need feeding though...?

Nige2Plots

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 19:34 »
If they're in a container rather than the ground, I'm assuming they'll need feeding though...?
I have some in the ground and in containers, I feed both in the same way!

Ralphy

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 23:25 »
mine are in two big containers and another 6 in pots, i love strawberrys! and the shop-bought ones are invariably bland and cardboardy. now after a dull punnet of blueberrys i'm going to have to try growing them too!

ember

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 14:52 »

I have a raised bed on the plot where the strawbs have been fed, with a solid feed per plant (there meant for pot plant but well they were free :wacko:) and are regularly watered. In the back yard I have a plantpot tower of strawberries which has water flung at it occassionaly in passing.  :blush:

The ones at the ploat are coming along very slowly but the ones in the yard are doing wonderfully  :ohmy: :D I reckon that's coz it's more sheltered there  :D

M
When I arrived, there were so many docks, I thought it was Southampton.

xx
Silly question on feeding tomatoes

Started by Diddy Gardener on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2012, 17:10
by arugula
xx
Courgette Growing-Pollination question(probably a silly novice type question!)

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 10:11
by compostqueen
xx
Another silly question

Started by Lily on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 15, 2007, 07:37
by Sadgit
xx
Very silly question!

Started by plot53b on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 15, 2012, 23:19
by Nikkithefoot

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 36 queries.