Plot Too 'Hot' To Plant

• 4 Replies

erainn

• Experienced Member
Plot Too 'Hot' To Plant
« on: May 10, 2011, 08:59 »
Sorry to raise a topic previously covered but I would be grateful for further suggestions regarding a section of our plot, which at the beginning of April received some dry, but still aromatic manure. Since then I have dug it into the soil and repeatedy hoed to help break it down. There's still a slight smell, similar to a mushroom compost aroma, and so I am wondering if it would still be too 'rich' for planting into?

If not, would leeks and butternut squash enjoy/thrive in such conditions, or do I have to resign myself to letting that area 'settle' for this year? Would appreciate yourt thoughts and experience on this topic.

stompy

Re: Plot Too 'Hot' To Plant
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 09:21 »
If it's got a mushroom compost smell (not a stinky manure smell) it should be fine.

To be on the safe side though, i would plant your squashes in there, but dig a hole for them around 12" to 18" wide and 12" deep then use a mix of 50/50 general purpose compost and the removed soil to back fill and plant the squash, i would also add some BFB too.

This way it will have deffinite ok compost for it to root into and will be able to cope with the maybe stronger stuff that you've out in the plot as the roots go deeper and further out.

bigben

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 14:50 »
I think they are perhaps the crop that would cope. You cannot really overfeed squash so you might be ok.

erainn

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 22:36 »
Thanks to all for the helpful advice :)

Was again turning over the manured plot today and one thought sprang to mind...tis time of the year when weeds make their merry appearance, certainly are sprouting across the rest of my allotment, yet curiously not a single weed on my manured area!

Any ideas as why that might be?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 22:47 »
Thanks to all for the helpful advice :)

Was again turning over the manured plot today and one thought sprang to mind...tis time of the year when weeds make their merry appearance, certainly are sprouting across the rest of my allotment, yet curiously not a single weed on my manured area!

Any ideas as why that might be?

Probably down to all the hoeing you have been doing (don't worry; they will be back!)  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
What can I still plant on my new plot?

Started by Mrs Pea on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 00:21
by Mrs Pea
xx
Gaps in the plot, is there anything I can plant now?

Started by freebo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 05, 2007, 15:35
by muntjac
xx
Supermarket living lettuce-plant or not 2 plant?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 20:29
by violet61
xx
Butternut - to plant out or not to plant out?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 17:09
by little sweetpeas

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 37 queries.