Chicken deterrents

• 19 Replies

Goosegirl

Re: Chicken deterrents
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 15:28 »
What a rotten problem for you - I do sympathise..! I cannot quote it exactly but we all have a human right to live in peace without any undue harrassment. Have a word with your solicitor relative. Would a higher fence round your garden work? Bad neighbours are a pane in the water butt and joyful's suggestion is right as all animals should be cared for properly. Do any other neighbours have the same problem - perhaps they could help too.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 18:10 »
I'd argue that the chickens are causing a 'nuisance', which is a technical term which Environmental Health at the council should understand.

Of course, if the chickens continue to be uncontrolled and to cause damage, there is always the slightly-more strong threat of small claims court action for damages if absolutely absolutely all else fails and you are at the end of your tether ... would not recommend it otherwise.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peteo

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 21:50 »
Hi ferreter51
You could try electric netting or strand-wire with a 12v battery and an energiser,
 the hens will get used to this very quickly.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 22:50 »
I've just read through the thread then realised it's a couple of weeks old - has the chicken problem been resolved yet?

I have chickens that free-range all day and I also have vegetable gardens.  Here are some things that might work:

Observe how the chickens are getting over the fence.  Do they fly right over or hop onto the top then flutter down?  If you were to put an 'extension' of bird netting on top of the fence, this might be enough to deter them.  By bird netting I mean the soft nylon netting just draped loosely between bamboo poles.  Soft, loose netting seems to deter my chickens more than proper chicken mesh - they can't perch on it and hate getting their feet tangled in it.

Also consider loose bird netting over your garden beds, propped up with bamboo sticks where needed.  The chickens will still be able to push in and get to things like strawberries that are close to the edge, but you could protect most of your garden that way.

I recommend black netting - it's virtually invisible so it doesn't look like your garden is a fortress.  Around here it's really cheap to buy.

I think it's terrible that you should have to take action to keep your neighbour's animals out of your garden.  >:( If you have to do something radical (eg trapping and removing the chickens) then the neighbours will just have to accept that they had the chance to solve the problem but left it all up to you, and you did what you had to do.

P.S. Personally I wouldn't keep the chickens.  You could put a lot of time, effort and money into housing and feeding them properly, get them laying plenty of eggs, then find your neighbours accusing you of theft and wanting them back.  :blink:

ferreter51

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 07:08 »
I've just read through the thread then realised it's a couple of weeks old - has the chicken problem been resolved yet?

I have chickens that free-range all day and I also have vegetable gardens.  Here are some things that might work:

Observe how the chickens are getting over the fence.  Do they fly right over or hop onto the top then flutter down?  If you were to put an 'extension' of bird netting on top of the fence, this might be enough to deter them.  By bird netting I mean the soft nylon netting just draped loosely between bamboo poles.  Soft, loose netting seems to deter my chickens more than proper chicken mesh - they can't perch on it and hate getting their feet tangled in it.

Also consider loose bird netting over your garden beds, propped up with bamboo sticks where needed.  The chickens will still be able to push in and get to things like strawberries that are close to the edge, but you could protect most of your garden that way.

I recommend black netting - it's virtually invisible so it doesn't look like your garden is a fortress.  Around here it's really cheap to buy.

I think it's terrible that you should have to take action to keep your neighbour's animals out of your garden.  >:( If you have to do something radical (eg trapping and removing the chickens) then the neighbours will just have to accept that they had the chance to solve the problem but left it all up to you, and you did what you had to do.

P.S. Personally I wouldn't keep the chickens.  You could put a lot of time, effort and money into housing and feeding them properly, get them laying plenty of eggs, then find your neighbours accusing you of theft and wanting them back.  :blink:

The latest situation is this:  I have various deterrents (fine black netting, old CDs/DVDs etc. set on and around the veg beds and they are generally working.  My grandchildren had some old "windmills" which they have given to me and these are in the flower beds.  Flower beds are a different problem from veg and fruit beds as I want to see a display of blooms, not netting or even the windmills.  Some chickens still get into the garden (they get onto, then off the fencing, they don't go straight over).  I have the veg bed netting anchored very firmly, and although they try to scratch it up, they cannot, at least they cannot before I realise that they are there and get out to them.  I will try the idea of netting on  top of the fence.

I've already spoken to the council and yesterday I had a word with the RSPCA about them not being fed.  They're not even being housed properly in my opinion with more than 10 birds in a hutch measuring no more than 4ft square when they can be bothered to shut them in for the night.   Sometimes, when they have been shut in, they are not then let out until mid-afternoon.  Others with more experience of chickens may know more about housing them than I do. Still waiting to see what happens and not holding my breath.

I have decided against having the chickens myself for pretty much the reasons you advanced.

xx
Pigeon deterrents

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

60 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 17:34
by DOBBO
xx
Cheap 'n' functional bird deterrents.

Started by JaneF on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 25, 2013, 19:54
by bazial
xx
Chicken Poo?

Started by Nickchick on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 14:43
by andreadon
xx
Chicken poo

Started by sheridal on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 20:03
by sheridal

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 35 queries.