Reusing Compost

• 8 Replies

Sophie_Chilli

• Sophie's Blog
Reusing Compost
« on: November 13, 2010, 19:54 »
Apologies in advance if this has already been covered - I did a search but couldn't find anything.

Basically I've got eight potato grow bags full of compost that now have no-where to go.

Is it okay to transfer the soil to my composter to use again next year?

I will point out that as far as I know none of the potatoes I grew in the bags had any diseases although may have suffered from pests as the leaves on top got eaten somewhat but the outcome was fine!

As you can imagine eight bags meant quite a lot of compost was bought and I'd hate to just chuck it all in the bin!

Any advice gratefully received.  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Reusing Compost
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 20:12 »
well I did a search for 're-use compost' and 2 pages of topics came up..............and the consensus of opinion was that people put theirs either direct onto beds as soil conditioner or in the compost heap.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 21:09 »
I agree with Mum... I would always use mine for putting on my beds to help 'bulk' up the soil levels, I think once used, the majority of nutrients in the compost would heve been taken up by whatever was planted in it previously...  :)

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 13:12 »
Also if you put a covering on top of your compost bin you will get rid of the anoying fruit flies, at least for a while
Paul

SG6

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 17:02 »
I would be tempted to keep the bags and add chicken manure and/or a half bag of bagged manure from a garden centre to each grow bag and reuse.

The compost we buy is very often simply a medium into which they makers have added nutrients in liquid form. The compost itself therefore simply being a pretty dormant medium that simply provides support for the plant to grow in. The nutrient is added.

That is why you need to added liquid feeds to things grown in the various composts.

Otherwise I tend to use mine as a soil conditioner where ever I think it could be useful to make the soil structure more open.

kezlou

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 19:48 »
I know this isn't the normal thing to do.
But what i do with used compost, is to add some chicken manure and some tomato fertiliser mix it with the compost and then leave it for about a week. After a week give a quick stir and put it into cotainers ready for planting.

I did this over the summer and it worked really well.

hth
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 21:25 »
Whack it all into a spare bed, plant some clover on it, dig it in once it's grown nicely then bung it over your main plot and dig in.  Nitrogen levels receive a lovely boost, and you've not wasted anything!  Adding some Rooster will help as well. 

Sticking it all on your compost heap is a good option if you've not got much space but there's not really much to rot down in spent compost, so you may actually just be diluting your existing heap.

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 21:32 »
I have started to reuse it. Apparently an experiment done by Which showed that reused compost with a bit of slow release fertiliser gave results identical to those of new compost.

Charlie

Sophie_Chilli

• Sophie's Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 13:22 »
Thank you for all the replies.  Unfortunatley I haven't got any spare beds to dump it into (smallish gdn) which is why I was thinking the composter would be a good idea - that way I'm adding the nutrients as I go along (also I add bone meal when using it it pots).
Thanks guys, all replies very much welcome.   :)

xx
Reusing potato compost

Started by Ianhhhhjikm on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2022, 19:03
by cc
xx
Reusing empty compost bags for tomatoes

Started by Jaybees on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 19, 2021, 07:47
by Growster...
xx
Reusing compost after blighted tomatoes have been grown in it.

Started by ronfred on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2010, 17:28
by madcat
xx
Reusing Old Growbags

Started by mum2many on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 14:24
by BostonInbred

Page created in 0.499 seconds with 38 queries.