growing parsnips

• 25 Replies

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
Re: growing parsnips
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 12:46 »
Watched a designer chef programme a few weeks ago and they had a recipe for mashed parsnips, olive oil and parmesan cheese. Tried it and it was disgusting.

Anything with parmesan cheese tastes disgusting as far as I'm concerned  :tongue2:
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 13:44 »
I love parsips but haven't tried growing any. When is the best time to sow?

Mine normally get sown in about early April.  The soil is too wet and cold before then to make good germination, and they catch up happily enough with earlier-sown ones.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 15:39 »
Delia has a recipe for parmesan parsnips.  We tried it one Christmas and it was vile.  Others have thoroughly enjoyed it but for some reason the recipe didn't work at all for us.  Never to be repeated  :ohmy:

That's the recipe that converted me to liking parsnips!  I'm wondering what could have gone wrong (unless it was just personal preference) and I've realised that I've only eaten it made with supermarket parsnips and pre-grated parmesan.  Perhaps mild flavours are the key - I can imagine that it wouldn't work with very sweet or very strong parsnips, or if they were cooked until they were as brown as I usually like roast veg.  I can imagine they wouldn't be so nice if they didn't go crunchy, either.

chili

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 16:09 »
I was toying with trying parsnips next year, but my ground is clay with lots of stones. I know that's not ideal conditions for parsnips, but will they just grow misshapen under those conditions, or not at all?

I grow mine in flower buckets in a mix of home-made compost with sharp sand and get great results. If you want to grow them in your clay soil take a crowbar or similar and ram it into the ground then wiggle it about to give a cone-shaped hole approx. 3-4 inches across at the top. Fill this with sand/compost mix and sow a couple of seeds to each hole. Thin out to the strongest seedling.

I know it sounds a faff but having stony clay soil is no reason not to grow parsnips  :)

why not get some free flower buckets from asda they are about 18" deep and maybe 10/12" dia fill them with your own custom made dirt, and off you go :) 3 or 4 per pot

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 17:20 »
Decided to pull one up today, im very nosey and wanted to see what they  were like, i wish i hadnt now as it was naff, it was long, but like a long piece of dental floss ::) :(
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 20:28 »
I have finally nailed straight parsnips.

I pre-germinate the seed and plant them in kitchen roll tubes filled with compost.  When the first true leaf opened they were planted into a deep raised bed.  I like to cram mine in and were planted no more then 20cm apart in all directions.  Dug up my first 2 today. 

The first snapped off about 18 inches down but was HUGE.  The second came up easily and was 2 feet long from crown to tip and dead straight.  Again it as a whopper. 

Last year I was plagued with fanged roots, but signs this year are more encouraging.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 21:27 »
I think we need photos jay  :lol:

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 22:07 »
I know you can leave snips in over winter, but what happens to the foliage? Mine are looking good but all the (high and dense) foliage has flopped over into my leeks in our raised bed after recent frost - should I just leave it, tie it up, cut it back??!   :blink:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 09:06 »
If it's still green leave it until it has completely died back. It might still be adding something to the roots (although not much at this time of year!)

Then tidy them up if you want (I don't bother.)

Good idea to mark the first parsnip of the row with a stick which you then move along as you dig them up as it can be quite hard to remember where you've got to!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 13:46 »
Ah, good tip, hadnt thought of that!  I doubt they will be getting much goodness from the foliage where they are - feels like its been dark here for about a week now, and they are in a pretty shady patch  ::)  Surprised I've got anything at-all actually!

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 16:44 »
I let mine die down on their own, and they soon disappear.  I have slipped white markers by each one as they can be tricky to find without getting you hands plastered in mud.  Not fun in the middle of winter.

As for the photo, It will have to wait until the next time I lift some more.  Probably Sunday  :D

xx
Growing parsnips

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 30, 2010, 15:09
by aelf
xx
Growing Parsnips!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 23:04
by LeeR
clip
Growing Parsnips

Started by cadalot on Grow Your Own

54 Replies
Last post January 01, 2015, 10:40
by Kristen
xx
growing parsnips

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 04, 2017, 08:37
by arh

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 37 queries.