Flowering Asparagus

• 6 Replies

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Flowering Asparagus
« on: July 20, 2010, 19:05 »
My cheapo Wilko asparagus seems to have settled in and sent up some spindly little shoots.

Some of the plants have produced little flowers.... does this mean they are female and that I should replace them?

Thanks for any advice  :)
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Flowering Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 20:35 »
Not necessarily! Both male and female plants produce flower-like structures; the trick is to know which is which (or to learn how to shrug your shoulders and say "Wotever"!)

Things have got much more complicated in recent years as breeders attempt to produce more efficient strains (usually male.)

I can't really help other than to point you in the right direction (it's informative but not wildly exciting!):

http://www.paradise-garden.co.uk/vegetables/asparagus/asparagus.html

Patience is needed which ever you finish up with; in my experience they all take several years to reach their peak.

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 03:48 »
It's not really anything to worry about. If anything, I don't mind having the female plants as they drop their seeds and new plants start with far better results than any I could start myself. This is often timely as on occasion, for whatever reason, I seem to lose a plant, so the new starts are welcome.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 09:31 »
If they produce berries they are female. I would not worry too much. The new all female varieties are supposed to be more productive.

Obviously if you were a commercial grower with 10 acres of asparagus lots of seedlings might be a problem as weeds.

Trillium mentions replacing lost plants. Does anyone know if you can split asparagus plants?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 10:01 »
If they produce berries they are female. I would not worry too much. The new all female varieties are supposed to be more productive.

Obviously if you were a commercial grower with 10 acres of asparagus lots of seedlings might be a problem as weeds.

Trillium mentions replacing lost plants. Does anyone know if you can split asparagus plants?

Yes, although when I tried it the moved part of the crown didn't survive; the part left in situ recovered!

Article here which might be helpful (be careful if you Google this subject as there are a lot of articles about dividing asparagus fern which is a different plant!)

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 15:10 »
Sadly, the asparagus crown is just that, and really isn't meant to be split, which is why you get seeds or even tiny offshoots on some varieties. If your asparagus is producing well, I'd leave it alone and just buy some new crowns of a variety that appeals more to you.

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 21:03 »
Thanks for the replies...

I never knew that bothe the male and female plants flowered. :wacko:

I had a good look when I was at the lottie tonight and most of the flowers seem to have gone now and there are no berries to be seen.

The main thing is they are green and healthy looking.  :)

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
PSB flowering

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 18:28
by purplebean

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 37 queries.