By mid April I'd already stopped buying lettuce from Supermarkets. C'Mon!

• 13 Replies

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
My Greenhouse allows me to cheat a bit.  I have no need for bagged salad until October I reckon and I hardly ever buy herbs any more.

I have no memory of ever buying rhubarb from anywhere so that doesn't count for me.

What's the next thing that you'll enjoy not having to buy for a while from the fresh veg counter at the local Quickiemart?
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

compostqueen

you've no need for bagged salad after October either. I sow a few seeds in a tray in the cold greenhouse.  I just sow a short row along the box say every other week and treat them as cut and come again.  I'm still eating lots of leaves each day. I just put a gravel tray under the seed tray and water from the bottom. No feeding necessary.  It's a mixture of about 26 different salad leaves, chicories and endives from Seeds of Italy. Great big packet. You can sow them outdoors too.

The next thing I'm not buying will be cucumbers. Mini ones which don't ever appear in shops round where I live. I love small, crunchy cucumbers. Bliss

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Don't forget to sow corn salad..........it's very easy for winter salads and it's in all the baby leaf salad bags that you buy ;) and like compostqueen, I've been eating salads through the winter from the greenhouse :)
It's a toss up which arrives next......I think the Pentland Javelin new spuds may just pip it, but I have a courgette on it's way (parthenogenic variety so doesn't need pollinating :) ) and sugarsnaps are flowering.

It's all happening at once..YAY  :lol:

SarahB

• Experienced Member
Had a look at the cucumber yeseterday to find that it'd been growing while I wasn't looking and there were about 5 mini cucumbers nearly ready to pick.   As we'd only just got a large one in a big shop, I think cucumber soup and cucumber salad are going to be the order of the day for a bit!   :lol: 

madcat

and sugarsnaps are flowering.

:( :( :( >:( :( :mad:  Can you tell I'm jealous! I hate slugs!  :mad: :mad:  My poor sugar snaps were set back badly by pea weevils and then the slugs virtually finished em off!  They are somewhere between stumps and 6"!!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
How often do you sow batches of lettuce and how many plants at a time do you tend to go for? For the average size familly im thinking.
Woooooooooooooo

compostqueen

I do the cut and come again mixture and eat them as leaves rather than growing an entire lettuce, but all will grow on to form full lettuces if you let them

You don't want all your lettuce at once which is why you so little and often. You can buy all sorts of lettuce leaf mixes now so just experiment and sow some direct in your garden or lotty soil, or in a box or seed tray.  In a box, just sow one short row across the box, wait for two weeks and sow another. You'll soon see how often you need to resow. 

diggerjoe

I cant wait to get the first salad leaves on a plate. Im off work with a flu thing so being in the greenhouse this afternoon  will be nice warm and give me chance just to sow some more and pot on some other lettuce :D :D

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
We love our salads and are picking cos, cut and come again, rocket, spinnach and next week first pak choi leaves.

Sue
Dilly
It is better to have nothing to do than to be doing nothing.

Belvoir

I cant wait to get the first salad leaves on a plate. Im off work with a flu thing so being in the greenhouse this afternoon  will be nice warm and give me chance just to sow some more and pot on some other lettuce :D :D

Is that man flu then?!! :nowink:

Belvoir

American land cress is very nice and its easy!!   :)  very much like watercress! :D

solway cropper

You can have spring onions through the winter as well if you sow in pots and overwinter them in the greenhouse. Picked the last of mine today and the first of this years are only a couple of weeks away. I'd agree with the others that salad leaves can be had through the year if you choose CCA rather than waiting for large heads to form.

compostqueen

I'll try the spring onions as I've got some of those winter White Lisbons. Salad and onions woohoo  :)

I did start off some early spring onions in modules and planted those out in spring and they've done brilliantly and are ready for eating

diggerjoe

'Lady Flu' Belvoir :D :D Going back to work Wednesday first time ill for 5 years OH now has the man version - mind you its amazing how much you can get potted up between sniffs- learnt not to sneeze when sowing lettuce seeds  :nowink: :nowink:

xx
Icebergs like the supermarkets

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 07:47
by lacewing
xx
Cabbages in the UK for supermarkets

Started by hobhob on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 20:59
by zazen999
xx
supermarkets cant get rid of pumpkin surplus

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 04, 2006, 16:53
by jennyb
smiley
growing ginger from supermarkets

Started by paul sadler on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 04, 2018, 14:29
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 40 queries.