Anti butterfly netting

• 17 Replies

lacewing

Anti butterfly netting
« on: May 14, 2010, 13:24 »
Anybody got any idea as to where I could buy some good anti butterfly netting?. I've seen it in wilkinsons in small packs, but I would like a much larger quantity. The holes need to be 10-12mm to keep the blighters out.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
Re: Anti butterfly netting
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 13:32 »
Scaffolders debris netting seems to be very popular, A lot of people seem to have started using it an it seems to do the trick.

You can find it on fleabay, or at a Builders Merchant  / scaffolders etc...

Ivor Backache

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 14:36 »
I use end of roll of dress netting (similar to net curtain). Buy it for £5 and usually have three/four lengths to go across the allotment. There are different types and the stiffer type tears very easily. I have been using the tatty bits to cover potatoes on frosty nights.
Make a frame with bamboo canes and drape it over and secure with clothes pegs. Its fine enough to keep out the carrot fly too.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 14:44 »
yes I use old voile net curtains as a substitute for enviromesh :)
but did also invest in some debris net of flea-bay this year.
10-12 mm is not fine enough to keep cabbage white butterflys out

read this thread  :ohmy:

JohnB47

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 17:47 »
"10-12 mm is not fine enough to keep cabbage white butterflys out "

I agree. Last year my daughter said she watched as a Cabbage White Butterfly folded it's wings back and pushed through the netting over our Sprouts. Result - loads of catterpillers. I'm going for something really fine this year.

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 18:38 »
Butterfly netting has to be 7mm or less.

Try Harrods Horticultural or Gardening Naturally. Gardening Naturally are usually slightly cheaper and it is the same postal charge however many items you order.

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 19:35 »
debris/scaffold netting no.1 choice
first year grower

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 19:40 »
I looked around and ended up buying from www.gardening-naturally.com as mentioned above.  For the quantity I wanted it was the cheapest source.  It's 7mm which I hope is small enough to keep the blighters out.    :blink:

It also does look like it'll be long lasting.

:)
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

tontom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 21:04 »
I bought some debris netting from Tarpaflex on line 60 ft x 9 ft , enough for 2 of my beds to cover my brassicas £25 well spent  ;)

lacewing

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 22:22 »
Many thanks for the adsvice! I tried the scaffold netting  last year and found it was warm for sprouts, cabbage ect. and caused them to bolt. I will have a look on Gardening Naturally and hope to find what I'm looking for there. Thanks again! :)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 22:38 »
Debris netting is ok but it doesn't let the good bugs through.   :blink:
Cheese makes everything better.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 06:10 »
Many thanks for the adsvice! I tried the scaffold netting  last year and found it was warm for sprouts, cabbage ect. and caused them to bolt. I will have a look on Gardening Naturally and hope to find what I'm looking for there. Thanks again! :)

That's odd as my brassicas did really well under it. It was that first year that I'd sucessfully grown summer cauli's and I put it down to the fact that it provided a lot of shading for them which also assisted in retaining the moisture.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

lacewing

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 08:15 »

That's odd as my brassicas did really well under it. It was that first year that I'd sucessfully grown summer cauli's and I put it down to the fact that it provided a lot of shading for them which also assisted in retaining the moisture.

My cauliflowers did very well also, but the winter crops, ie cabbage and brussels sprouts all  bolted. Never had that problem before, so put it down to the heavy netting.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 08:32 »
Lots of peeps on our site have been using debris netting and I don't think anyone's had problems.  It has the added advantage of providing a good wind break (our site can be quite blowy I've realised).   

I'm not sure why in the end I went for the butterfly net - I think it was a combination of getting the size I wanted, and also thought it might just look a bit better as it's a bit less visible.  (I know, it's an allotment, I shouldn't be worrying about what it looks like :nowink:).

But on the windbreak front I think I am now going to get some to wrap debris netting round my rabbit proof perimeter fence to try to soften the wind a little bit.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 08:35 »
My cauliflowers did very well also, but the winter crops, ie cabbage and brussels sprouts all  bolted. Never had that problem before, so put it down to the heavy netting.

All my brassicas were under debris netting, apart from the PSB which was under more open netting.

Only the PSB bolted.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:08 by DD. »

xx
Butterfly Netting

Started by Bluedave on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 15:37
by tosca100
xx
Butterfly netting

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 16, 2009, 21:29
by viettaclark
xx
butterfly netting over brassicas

Started by Bohobumble on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post August 16, 2015, 12:00
by shazlette
xx
Anti cabbage white: horticultural mesh or netting?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 20, 2023, 18:03
by missmoneypenny

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 37 queries.