Polytunnel Ventilation

• 6 Replies

KevtheGreenman

Polytunnel Ventilation
« on: May 09, 2010, 07:55 »
We are thinking about getting a poly tunnel, either 3 x 4.5 metres or 3 x 6 m from First Tunnels. I would like to get it right from the start and what I'm wondering is, is a vent screen kit a worthwhile investment for polytunnels this small, or would a double sliding door at the front and a single door at the back provide adequate ventilation? The tunnel is to be erected on a north/south axis and the prevailing wind comes from the west – if we were to get a side vent screen kit, would only one on the west facing side in conjunction with the doors be enough or would one be required either side, pushing the price up considerably!

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
Re: Polytunnel Ventilation
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 08:15 »
We're just erecting our new polytunnel and decided to go for double doors at each end, but with no additional ventilation.

Have you asked First Tunnels their advice? I found them really helpful when I was specing our tunnel.

It's worth adding your location on here, as I imagine the advice will differ depending on where you are.

KevtheGreenman

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 09:15 »
Thanks for the reply - we were intending to contact First Tunnels but thought it would be better to get some unbiased advice as any company is going to want to sell more for more profit! We are in East Suffolk, about 1 mile from the coast - protected from all directions apart from the west, where our shelter belts will probably take about another five years to take effect.

rem858

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 14:51 »
i have double doors at both ends of my poly and  i have used debris netting on a thin frame to screen the doors in the summer and replace with plastic in the autumn /winter

compo

• Experienced Member
    • west end cleaning
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 22:02 »
 Yep, same as Rem858. Debris netting or scaffold netting over your door frames, then the plastic can just be stapled on over winter to protect from frost. You dont need to spend a fortune, on ebay you sometimes find a few offcuts for sale.
Politicians are like nappies - they need changing for the same reason

KevtheGreenman

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 21:23 »
Thanks for your input everyone, there's no substitute for experienced advice. Looks like double doors either end then. I've just marked out the footprint for both sizes; the 3 x 6m looks the best option and we need to keep an eye on the costs...

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 06:54 »
I read last night that you can just add additional hoops when you come to replacing the cover, so it's worth considering that when siting your tunnel.

xx
Polytunnel

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 23:14
by RichardA
xx
Polytunnel and Fox

Started by Bognor Lee on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 11:08
by mikem
xx
Polytunnel....Help please

Started by Thrift on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 12, 2009, 10:34
by Thrift
xx
The Big Dig Polytunnel

Started by nothinghasdiedyet on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 22, 2007, 10:20
by jondanie

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 35 queries.