What Does Checking Mean?

• 3 Replies

dmhain

What Does Checking Mean?
« on: May 03, 2010, 16:10 »
Hi,

I have read numerous posts about planting seedlings out when its too cold, often they say this will check the plant, or stop it growing...

My question is...If you plant out seedlings too early, if no frosts are about but it is a little cold what damage will this actually do, will the plants just go into suspension and start growing again when it warms up?

I have planted out sweetcorn, peppers, squashes and french beans already, they were all hardened off before planting but if Im honest they dont seem to have grown a great deal in the last couple of weeks!!  Im in the south west so frosts now are unlikely (although not guaranteed!)

All advice, comments welcomed

Cheers

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What Does Checking Mean?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 17:00 »
I hope, for your sake, that they will just wait till it is warmer. I have a feeling though that if your weather is anything like mine today...that they may not recover.
Frost will certainly kill them.

Have you no fleece to keep them a little warmer  :unsure:

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 17:36 »
I agree with mumofstig, fleece over the plants will certainly heelp their chances.

Here in the South East we've had hail today!

Checking means a variety of things for different plants, sometimes its just that they don't like the extremes of the temperatures, 20 + degrees C in the day and near to 0 degrees at night- this causes the plant to just stop growing and it takes a long time to recover. Other times the plant will actually turn blue/purple and again take a long time to recover.

Last year my sweetcorn didn't grow above 2ft because I planted too early, other years tomatoes have been a month later than others on lottie just becasue I was impatient. A guy on our allotment always starts a month after the rest of us, has the biggest healthiest looking plants with an XS of produce. I'm afraid I'm too impatient, and probably 1 year in 4/5 I can say that my planting out early has paid off.

So in conclusion, the less checking (to slow the growth or progress of, retard) of the plant the stronger and quicker the plant will grow away and produce veg!

best of luck!

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 17:37 »
Most of your plants are simply heat lovers and if they don't get the conditions they need, they just sit there waiting until they do get them. Basdically, you've planted them too early. The beans aren't so bad at this but all the others are. If you can put them under cloches or short polytunnels, they'll perk up again for you with the heat within. It's not just sun they need but also the heat.

xx
checking in

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 30, 2007, 09:22
by puravida
xx
Just checking

Started by Kimberley04 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 26, 2009, 18:38
by DD.
xx
Clueless Newbie Checking In

Started by NewbieGardener on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 22, 2013, 21:14
by Asherweef

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 37 queries.