Pumpkin trench idea

• 9 Replies

kittiwake

Pumpkin trench idea
« on: October 06, 2009, 18:12 »
I was talking to a fellow plot holder the other night and he told me that he just digs stuff that could be composted directly into the soil rather than putting it on a heap.

I quite like this idea because my compost daleks are full with weeds with seedheads at the moment that I cant get rid of as we are not allowed bonfires on the plot.

If I made several parallel bean trenches (or even one after the other as I filled them up) over the part of the plot designated for next years pumpkins and squash and filled it with compostable material over winter do you think it would break down sufficiently to benefit the squash etc when I plant them out in may?

Is there a flaw to this cunning plan ?

Kitti

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Pumpkin trench idea
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 18:25 »
Well the drawback is as far as i can see....is that stuff that was still rotting down in the spring would be using nitrogen from the soil...it works ok with beans because they make their own nitrogen.

Don't know if the pumpkins would like that though, but then again people do plant them on their compost heaps......so maybe don't listen to me at all :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 18:29 »
I certainly wouldn't advise it with weeds / seedheads as there's no way there will be enough heat to kill the seeds off.

Agree with MoS that I've only ever heard of it done in a bean trench.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

kittiwake

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 18:48 »
Dont worry. I wasnt going to put any weeds in the trench just things like the old bean and sweetcorn stems chopped up and some past it lettuces and chard leaves and so on.

My books say pumkins on old compost heaps are ok. That suggests that mumofstigs comment re nitrogen will mean the pumpkins wont like sitting in decomposing greens :-(

Oh well it seemed like a good idea. Thanks for your helpful comments.

Kitti..... off to find another dalek from somewhere
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 18:50 by kittiwake »

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 21:03 »
As my Pumpkin bed is the last one to be prepared as they are planted so late it usually gets the compost heap that has been mainly made out of kitchen waste during the Winter so is not fully broken down and they seem to thrive on it. They get Growmore as well.
'Nullius in verba' - 'Take nobody's word for it'

kittiwake

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 21:33 »
Ivah,

Thanks, thats really interesting.

I feel that this might need a bit of an experiment. I think I will put some trenches in half the pumpkin patch and treat the other half as normal and see what happens. Watch this space next autumn !

Kitti

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 21:47 »
The extra growmore would provide the nitrogen that the rotting process was taking :)

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 12:59 »
We dig trenches and fill them full of material that will compost all the time.  At the moment we are digging out potatoes as a whole trench then filling the trench with old salad leaves and such like then back filling the trench.  We catch all the little spuds this way too. 

http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/2008/10/can-i-dig-it-yes-you-can.html
This post is from this time last year.

We have very sandy free draining soil which needs loads of organic matter. I do this for soil structure as much as anything else.

My cabbages are very happy in the bed we did this in last year.  I don't know if I'd rely on this solely for growing hungry squash.  I tend to go for a big hole and a barrow full of well rotted manure to grow my squash.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

zazen999

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 13:06 »
I drown perennial weeds in butts of rainwater and when they are dead; dig wide holes and chuck them in. Then pile the soil [clay] back on top and plant directly on top. The roots get a good supply of moisture from the rotting gunk and they seem to like it. I stamp the soil down on top if it is brassicas going in.

kittiwake

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 08:55 »
Thanks,

My soil is very light and free draining too so the organic matter would help me too.

Good point about the growmore. I usually add chicken poo pellets as a food source for the pumpkins so if I do that again ext year I shouldnt starve them.

I dont have much in the way of perenial roots to drown but have loads of weeds with seed heads. Not sure if prolonged immersion will kill them though.

Thanks for the link corysboy

Kitti

xx
trench

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 27, 2015, 11:11
by m1ckz
xx
bean trench

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 20, 2014, 12:03
by MalcW
xx
Bean Trench

Started by greetwellboy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 03, 2016, 06:20
by greetwellboy
xx
Why a trench for potatoes?

Started by boddy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 28, 2014, 21:16
by TheWhiteRabbit

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 37 queries.