Brown leaves in the grenhouse

• 5 Replies

JCloth

Brown leaves in the grenhouse
« on: May 28, 2009, 09:48 »
Hello,

I have recently got a greenhouse. Prior to this I was growing everything in the lounge behind the patio doors and then planting out when they were ready which worked well.

Since having the greenhouse, within a week I'd managed to ruin most of the vegetable plants in there - they looked as though they'd dried up and died although they had plenty of water so this wasn't the case.

I thought that maybe it was too hot for them so I picked off the brown bits and moved the remaining affected plants to the floor of the greenhouse.

The tomatoes, lettuce peas and beans were fine, but mustard (the pointy lettuce thing - is it called mustard?), brocolli, and cauliflower all went crispy.

I've noticed this morning that the cucumber plants (still only a couple of inches tall) are starting to getting dried up bits on the outside of the leaves of otherwise sturdy healthy looking plants.

Am I looking at a disease here rather than heat-stroke of the plants?

I hope that someone can help as I don' know what to do. I've never used any pesticides or anything - prefered not to and have never needed to before now!

Thanks for your help.

Jxx

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Brown leaves in the grenhouse
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 10:14 »
It will definitely be too warm for broccolis and cauli in the greenhouse, get them outdoors pronto.

Have you been opening doors and vents during the day, and closing them at night?  We've had some real contrasts of temperature recently, that may well be the culprit rather than a disease.

However, I'm not a greenhouse grower so hopefully someone else will be along soon.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JCloth

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 10:24 »
Thank you I'll get them outside straight away.

I have been closing the window and door at night but the weather has been very mild down here so does that mean I should leave them open all the time?

I guess the green tinge to the soil may have been a clue......... a clue to not enough ventilation or too much water though? I am rather keen with the watering although don't let the plants sit in it.

I am a relative beginner at this so please excuse the obvious questions!

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 12:47 »
It was probably too hot in the greenhouse for brasicas, as for the cucumbers last year I had the problem of the lower leaves drying up and going crispy, this year I have been feeding them occasionally with nettle liquid feed and they are doing great. So try feeding them with a high nitrogen liquid feed.
Paul

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 20:07 »
Hi, the green on the surface is probably watering with butt water to avoid use tap water.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 14:18 »
Have you got some shading on your greenhouse? I have green netting on the inside and have had it in place for about six weeks. This reduced the likleihood of leaves being scorched, as sun through the glass/plastic can wreak havoc with tender leaves.

I also cover newly germinated seedlings or potted on plants with a single sheet of newspaper for a day or two to give them a chnace.

Hope this helps  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Brown Leaves

Started by beth123 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 21:31
by beth123
xx
brown leaves

Started by mat whitlock on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 22, 2016, 13:47
by mat whitlock
xx
brown leaves

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2014, 09:46
by Aunt Sally
xx
Brown edges on leaves

Started by mikegm on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 11:03
by fatcat1955

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 35 queries.