Rhubarb and raspberry help please

• 12 Replies

Yolky

Rhubarb and raspberry help please
« on: May 24, 2009, 22:23 »
Hi
I would love some rhubarb crowns for the garden but I am wondering if I have left it too late for this year? If not which should I go for please and could any one recommend somewhere to buy it.

I also would like to buy some raspberry canes could any one recommend any good types which are easy to grow please or am I too late for these too.

Thank you for your help
Alison, novice gardener from Bristol :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Rhubarb and raspberry help please
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 16:35 »
hi Alison

I think you've probably left it too late for this season for both of these plants, aim to get them in over the winter months.

Raspberries either fruit in summer or autumn, there are different varieties.  Anything starting with Glen is pretty reliable, Autumn Bliss is a good autumn variety, I think they crop less heavily though.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 16:56 »
Funnily enough, :ohmy:  I've just seen rhubarb in deep pots for sale at Focus -- not going to get a crop this year but would put you ahead for next year if you wanted to get a potted one  :nowink:

They looked quite healthy. Sorry don't know the price though.

Usually planted much earlier like Yorkie said, but with a potted plant and TLC you might get away with it.  :unsure: :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yolky

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 17:19 »
Hi
Thanks for your reply. I was at the garden center today and they had one crown of a 'champagne' rhubarb. I realise that I am planting out of season but for £5.99 I thought it would be worth the risk. I shall get another one to plant when the planting season is right. I have popped it in the ground with some good compost and I shall pop some fertiliser on it to give it a good feed and keep my fingers crossed. There was already about half a dozen 15 cm stalks on it and it looked nice and healthy.

I shall make sure I do the raspberries later in the year too and thank you very much for your advice on which type to go for, much appreciated.

Thank you
Ali

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 19:13 »
If you look around the garden centres you will find both plants available still at the moment (or at least they are round me).

You probably won't be able to crop any rhubarb planted this year, and only lightly next year until it gets itself established.

Raspberries - I agree with Yorkies suggestions, and I've seen both for sake this past week. You ought to get a limited crop from them this year if they are planted now.
Good luck

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 11:45 »
"You ought to get a limited crop from them this year if they [raspberries] are planted now."

Late/Autumn fruiting varieties only :) the Early/Summer fruiting varieties fruit on last-years-canes, and should be cut down to 6" or so on planting (they are often already pruned like that at the garden centre), they will throw up suckers which will fruit next year.

Yolky

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 14:34 »
Thank you for your replies. There were no raspberries at the garden centre I was at on Monday but there is another good one by me so I shall give it a try.

Thanks for all the advice :)

Yolky

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 19:21 »
Just wanted to let you know that the rhubarb plant I planted is really growing so well. The leaves that were already on the plant have over doubled in size and there are 2 new stalks growing already!

beansticks

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 19:57 »
Hi Yolky,there is a fabulous variety of summer raspberry called Glen Ample available from most reputable suppliers.I had mine from Dobies about five years ago,and they are fantastic,you will not be disappointed.

SG6

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 20:55 »
If you want ease of growing and looking after then for raspberries then I suggest an autumn fruiting variety. Several varieties are available.

I say this because for autumn fruiting varieties they grow new canes in the spring, fruit on these canes then in the winter you cut the canes off at ground level. The next year the cycle repeats. Simply grow, eat, chop. :D :D :D

Summer fruiting raspberries may crop heavier but the ease of taking care of them means I go for the autumn varieties.

Cannot help or advise about rhubarb.

Yolky

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 14:01 »
Great advice, thank you everyone.

devondave

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 14:09 »
I could'nt find any Rhubarb crowns so I bought some seed, planted it, every seed has taken and grown really well.

Devondave

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 14:12 »
I could'nt find any Rhubarb crowns so I bought some seed, planted it, every seed has taken and grown really well.

Devondave

Yes I'm growing thousands from seeds (I want a rhubarb forset), and they have germinated a treat and are looking like real little rhubarbs now. Just waiting for my third variety (Early Red) to make an appearance to see if it is as successful

xx
Raspberry bushes & Rhubarb

Started by Mbmyco2 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2020, 21:49
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
Raspberry

Started by flopsy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 01, 2012, 16:26
by savbo
xx
Which Raspberry

Started by beanqueen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 14:31
by beanqueen

Page created in 0.419 seconds with 40 queries.