Foxes...

• 16 Replies

LucasAndRichard

Foxes...
« on: November 20, 2008, 22:55 »
Found today that there is a fox den (foxes den??) just round the back of my plot.  It's on an end, so a definate danger of brambles from one side (the long side of course, as the plot is long and thin, the brambles couldn't be at the short end...actually, come to think of it, they're there too...)
Anyway, I digress!  There's a fox/es den very close, and I was wondering if they're likely to cause any problems...you know, with the compost heap or any particular crops or anything.  Should I be trying to discourage them from coming on my plot - you know, human hair in socks like around the chickens in my back garden since they don't like the smell; or are they a good thing - I have no idea.  

Any suggestions/thoughts/hints/tips welcome!!

:wink:

peterjf

foxes
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 23:27 »
i would be happy top have a fox on my plot , they eat mice , rats ect , very little damage , you could help them by putting out chicken bones , pork bones, they lopve eggs too , raw , any scraps of food ,  they will use a large litter tray if you leave them a large tray out ,

Farmer Fred

Re: Foxes...
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 23:33 »
Quote from: "LucasAndRichard"
Found today that there is a fox den (foxes den??) just round the back of my plot.  It's on an end, so a definate danger of brambles from one side (the long side of course, as the plot is long and thin, the brambles couldn't be at the short end...actually, come to think of it, they're there too...)
Anyway, I digress!  There's a fox/es den very close, and I was wondering if they're likely to cause any problems...you know, with the compost heap or any particular crops or anything.  Should I be trying to discourage them from coming on my plot - you know, human hair in socks like around the chickens in my back garden since they don't like the smell; or are they a good thing - I have no idea.  

Any suggestions/thoughts/hints/tips welcome!!

not at all. you should be encoraging them as they get rid of all sorts of pests like mice and rats.
trying to be organic

woodburner

Foxes...
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 00:01 »
I found a bed with a dozen little craters in it a while back, and the most likely culprit was a fox, digging for worms. The ground was bare and loose at the time so it did no harm, and it's only happened the once in over a year of veg growing, so I don't think they will be a real problem.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Kate and her Ducks

Foxes...
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 00:34 »
However if you have plotholders with chickens they will probably lynch you for encouraging you! If not go for it!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

paintedlady

Foxes...
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 05:15 »
I understand the reasons everyone says is a good idea to encourage foxes, but I seem to have problems with them (and cats!) on my plots - they dig up anything that smells nice to them and have recently completely trashed a garlic bed  :cry: .  I used to use chicken manure under some greedy plants but that is the worst thing - the foxes just dig up the plants.  It is very disheartening to find all your hard work completely ruined  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

I have been erecting 18" high plastic screens round beds or blocks of beds on the big plot which has been a big help as the foxes and cats seem to be unwilling to jump over for some reason, but the wooden stakes & plastic sheeting can be high maintenance (and additional expense), especially during windy weather.  The upside of the screens has been creating mini environments which seem to protect the plants from the worst winds (providing it doesn't tear and flap about - stapling netting (more expense!) has been quite good at preventing this) and also retains some heat which has meant many of my summer fruiting crops have done better than most other plotholders this year  :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
Foxes...
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 10:09 »
we have a fox den near my plot, their is a vixen and she had two cubs, i tend to get to plot when it is already pitch black and do most of the work with the aid of a head tourch. But it is nice to watch them playing in the field oppsite, however occasionally they have done a bit of damage, particularly digging up my raised beds, i also occasionally find some netting i put up dragged half way across the field, but on the whole they are not that bad.

Kagganz

Foxes...
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 11:24 »
I see a few  in the field at the end of the garden, lovely to watch them play  :D

mashauk

Foxes...
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 18:47 »
They are cute but not entirely trouble free.  We always have to plant our spuds twice, as they dig them up and play football with them, even though we've left tennis balls etc out for them, but after digging them up twice they seem to get bored.  On a heavier note they appear to be killing our resident hedgehog family, there hasn't been hedgehogs seen in our London allotment site for many years apparently and 2 were recently found, one beheaded and the other which we brought home to try to rescue, had had his eyes ripped out, and had to be put to sleep which was rather upsetting as you could imagine.  So, although I like foxes in general (there are no chickens allowed on our site) - I wouldn't actually encourage them.

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
Foxes...
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 19:22 »
They are nice on someone elses allotment as far as i am concerned as they do dig up you crops a bit.  Not easy keeping them out though, tried the urine trick around the perimiter but did not seem to work, put off the other plot holders though!  perhaps i will pee into a bottle first and sprinkle on next time  :lol:

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Foxes...
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 23:25 »
if you dont have poultry. id be nice to them as they are so pretty.

but if you have a poultry, .22 right between the eyes, else they'll treat your chooks and ducks like a free 24 hour KFC

LucasAndRichard

Foxes...
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 16:30 »
See, the chickens are in my backgarden, which is a good ten mins walk from the allotment, so at least they should be safe!  There's plenty of foxes around this area, but they've never (YET!!) got my chickens.  At the allotment there's this one(fox, not chicken!) who clearly regards the whole site as his property, and my plot neighbours think it must be his ladyfriend who moves into the brush/brambles/dirt not far from my plot at the relevent time of year!  I was just wondering if I needed to take the same anti-fox measures at the plot as at home, if foxes can be a problem for crops and everything, but as it sounds like they mostly leave you to get on with it, I don't think I'll bother.  There is someone on the site who has built a huge chicken run and house, but none in there yet - so I guess that's his responsibility to try and protect them!

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Lucas

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Foxes...
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 18:05 »
Quote from: "LucasAndRichard"
See, the chickens are in my backgarden, which is a good ten mins walk from the allotment, so at least they should be safe!  There's plenty of foxes around this area, but they've never (YET!!) got my chickens.  At the allotment there's this one(fox, not chicken!) who clearly regards the whole site as his property, and my plot neighbours think it must be his ladyfriend who moves into the brush/brambles/dirt not far from my plot at the relevent time of year!  I was just wondering if I needed to take the same anti-fox measures at the plot as at home, if foxes can be a problem for crops and everything, but as it sounds like they mostly leave you to get on with it, I don't think I'll bother.  There is someone on the site who has built a huge chicken run and house, but none in there yet - so I guess that's his responsibility to try and protect them!

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Lucas

a 10 minute walk is absolutely nothing to a hungry fox, especially if she has young to feed.

personally i'd shoot it. the aftermath of a fox attack on your chickens is not a pretty site. its bad enough for adults to find, but if you have children i'd eradicate the possibilty as soon as.

Kate and her Ducks

Foxes...
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 18:12 »
Have to agree with Babe if there is any chance of them getting to your birds. Unless your chickens are completely enclosed in a fox proof pen they are at risk and you don't have to be a child to be heartboken to find your girls dead and dying, trust me :cry:

poultrygeist

Foxes...
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 21:57 »
The advice from teh experts is to protect your chooks rather than shoot the fox. Another will move into the area.

If you keep it away from your chooks, it'll have to find a meal elsewhere and keep any other foxes away.

I can find an article if you want.

Rob 8)

xx
foxes

Started by dustcartkev on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2015, 19:35
by m1ckz
xx
Foxes

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 23, 2017, 08:58
by viettaclark
xx
Foxes

Started by Chris C on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 00:00
by pigeonpie
xx
Foxes

Started by Plot74 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 07:18
by joyfull

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 35 queries.