Contaminated manure

• 7 Replies

Barry Dunning

Contaminated manure
« on: November 07, 2008, 13:57 »
If I can't get the provenance of the manure can anyone suggest a substitute, excluding compost?
Bazza

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Contaminated manure
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 14:01 »
The only thing I could suggest would be poultry manure but then it would really be better added alongside compost or leaf mould to improve soil structure as well as adding nutrients.

woodburner

Contaminated manure
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 14:33 »
If you can dig manure in now, it should be alright by the spring, but it does need to be dug in. I'm not too keen on the digging so I'm trying green manure and my own compost for next year. ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Salmo

Contaminated manure
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 21:39 »
Mushroom compost is a good soil conditioner. It does not contain many nutrients but also has no weed seeds.

vegmandan

Contaminated manure
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 15:02 »
Trouble is with mushroom compost is, that it too could be contaminated if it's been made partially from horse muck (which some frequently is) taken from any horses that have been fed on hay or haylage taken from a field that's been sprayed with the nasty stuff. :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Avoid anything remotely related to horse and cow muck and hay products,or any manure from anything that's eaten hay or silage.

Nightmare. :(  :(

fatbelly

Contaminated manure
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 15:44 »
I have just put six barrow loads of Manure on my plot where my spuds will be going, will any contaminants in the manure leech out before next spring?
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

vegmandan

Contaminated manure
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 16:08 »
The advice seems to be dig it in well or rotavate ,and once any residual plant matter in the manure breaks down in the soil, it diminishes as the nasty stuff binds to the plant material or someting apparently. :?

But if it's not contaminated as the vast majority isn't then it won't matter anyway.

I put a tonne on half my plot this Autumn and just put old compost and grow bags on the other half just in case mine was contaminated.

Just got to hope for the best I suppose. :(

rhian13

Contaminated manure
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 19:36 »
green manure? field beans can go in sept-november

I'm going to sow mine soon, now I've cleared a bed..........

My lecturer said green manure is the future as its often difficult to get enough animal manure, so he has a really good crop rotation that I'm hoping to emulate, where you have one bed as a green manure, and the others you alternate between light and heavy feeders (as recommended by the soil association) the idea being that you save precious animal manure for crops like brassicas or squashes, and as the soil isn't exposed then the nitrates don't get washed away - I'm looking forward to experimenting, I used red clover in my garden this summer and that worked a treat.

:)

xx
contaminated manure

Started by Sebona on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 02, 2014, 16:19
by beesrus
xx
contaminated manure

Started by radiohead on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 21:08
by glallotments
xx
Contaminated Manure DataBase

Started by birmancats on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 19:49
by realfood
xx
Collection of contaminated manure

Started by glallotments on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 17, 2009, 16:03
by bigshod

Page created in 0.411 seconds with 34 queries.