slate from a roof as a slug barrier?

• 5 Replies

Little Dibber

« on: July 16, 2008, 14:16 »
Hi there,

My neighbour is having his roof re-slated this week, I had read in a book about putting slate under courgettes to keep them clean and free of slugs.

Does slate act as a barrier to slugs? there's enough of it out there to put right round my plot at the moment.

Thanks
LD
"Know that this is your God, who could not consent to send anyone else to save you, but would come himself that he might gain for himself all your love."
St Alphonsus Ligouri

mrs bouquet

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 11:09 »
gosh you're lucky, slate down here commands good money and I don't expect too much would be given away.  Sounds like it would work though and I've been thinking how to protect mine.  let me know if it works.  Mrs. Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Little Dibber

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 11:36 »
The guy said it just goes back to the yard and gets dumped! was happy for me to take some.

I notice when there is not a lot of rainfall, hasnt been any for almost 3 weeks that the slate is nice and dry and I think that is what acts as a barrier for the slate.  

Its good for placing round the courgettes to keep them clean and off the ground, haven't seen any problems since I did that but the weather has been so dry...

Bigger problem is the wood pigeons at the moment, seems they like green lettuce but leave the red one alone! maybe thats the answer till I get the metal cages made up or untill I get an air rifle and start looking for pigeon pie recipes.

HTH,
LD

Ps no wood pigeons were hurt in the writing of this post  :roll:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 11:41 »
I know what ou mean about the wood pigeons, I go down the garden shout, clap and wave hings at them, and they just flap back abit.  I haven't got an air-rifle, do you think a kids cap gun might work ?  Mrs.B

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:44 »
Id have a go at that Mrs B, it actually sounds fun!....itll take you back to your childhood at least :-)

(Can I be a cowboy and not an indian? :-) )

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 12:05 »
that will take a long time, my childhood was years ago, what a laugh though, I shall buy one next time I,m out.  Mrs. Bouquet

xx
Slug and Snail barrier

Started by Barry Lewis on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 01, 2014, 19:22
by DD.
xx
The most amusing slug barrier i've seen!

Started by TheSpartacat on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 21:50
by radiohead
xx
copper as a slug defense barrier ?

Started by withnail on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post March 20, 2007, 22:38
by muntjac
xx
oyster shell grit as slug barrier

Started by neatntidy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2017, 10:13
by fatferret

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 35 queries.