New to this allotment thing!

• 2 Replies

jane1264

• Experienced Member
« on: December 30, 2006, 18:40 »
Hi everyone - we're new to this allotment thing having just been given one in our local area.  Looking at other posts I think we are quite lucky in that our bit of the allotment has just been recovered from the farmer (who had took it over a few years ago due to lack of interest - now interest has increased he has released it back to the council!).  Prior to giving the land back he generously ploughed it so it is not covered by weeds etc!  Definate bonus.  The only down side is that the earth is probably full of pesticides and fertilisers and what ever else he has used on his crops in the past.  If the rain holds up off up there tomorrow to start digging it over and planning where to put things!

The choice of what to grow was not very scientific - we had a vote in the family about what we should grow and have tried to pick things that look easy but we will eat!  

My daughter asked for melons - particularly water melon but would settle for any type - is it possible to grow melons in this country - even here in semi tropical suffolk, and if so do they take up a lot of space - I can remember agreeing to plant some pumpkin seeds for her from out of her halloween pumpkin several years ago and them taking over the garden - are melons similar?  Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks and looking forward to a year of fantastic home grown veg!!

Jane

shaun

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 19:10 »
welcome jane + family
you have been blessed with your plot being cleared though not to worry about all those chemicals if any that have gone into the ground mother nature will see to them.
as for growing melons its something ive never done but i understand you can if your lucky with the weather,best bet would be under cover in a greenhouse or a polytunnel.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 20:11 »
welcome nieghhhhhhhbour .yes ya can grow  melons in suffolk  if ya got a green house or a tunnel ,ya dont need a biggun ( do ya shaun  :wink: ) just have ""someone "" knock up a frame from roofing lathes and cover it with builders plastic  and you can lay that over the ground you want to grow them on it will need anchoring well im up in lowestoft or there abouts and a chap grows one or 2 a year that ways  :wink:

""?"" political correctness as i dont know if you have the skills to make one or not being a lady  :lol:  :wink:  ..

oh and as its farm land it will be limited to how much chemical is in it ,, dump loads manure in it for now,, ask tha farmer if he has any  :wink:

my boss has had 20 tonnes of turkey muck dumped  on the field behind our house ... loverly fella  :wink:  my gardens gonna love it
still alive /............

clip
Is this a nutrient thing or a pruning thing

Started by UrbanGrower on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 15:09
by JayG
xx
Just one thing.....

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 15, 2017, 20:34
by Blewit
xx
one last thing for now!!

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 26, 2010, 13:30
by Y.E.A.H
xx
Is there such a thing

Started by Redwellies on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 26, 2007, 17:12
by WG.

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 35 queries.