gooseberry bush

• 11 Replies

kezlou

gooseberry bush
« on: May 06, 2008, 22:01 »
I think i've killed my gooseberry bush god only knows how but its happened.  :shock:

I bought a plant for £2 out of woolworths it had green leaves and looked healthy and i thought it would it be all right.

The instructions said to soak the roots in water for an hour before planting which i did. Then plant out as normal which i did in quite a large ceramic container.
It seemed fine for about t a week and now its gone brown and has no leaves. Its looks a right state.

Any ideas of how i can revive the poor little blighter?

Thanks in advance
Kerry
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

Dominic

gooseberry bush
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 22:08 »
Hmmm, weird

I think your supposed to soak them for a day, but I've never been strict and they've all turned out fine, whether no soaking or soaking for 3 days.

Was there a frost or any such?

My gooseberry has leafed up well, and was planted out in February.

Maybe leave it and hope it springs back to life next year
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
gooseberry bush
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 22:18 »
My gooseberry got sawfly last year and the whole lot, leaves and buds seemed to disappear overnight, I was wondering if that's what you got.  Seems strange that it happened so quickly.....

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
gooseberry bush
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 09:56 »
I bought a gooseberry bush from wilkinsons and planted it in a pot and all was ok.  I then took it up to the allotment and planted it out.  It  had lovely green leaves which then all died off.  I felt very disappointed but left it.  It is just now starting to bud up again nearly two months later so I would leave it and see if it comes back.  I am not expecting anything from mine this year but fingers crossed for next.
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

kezlou

gooseberry bush
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 12:00 »
Thanks for your help everyone.  I'll leave it in its container for the moment and see how it goes. You never know in a couple of months it might come back to life!  :)

GrannieAnnie What does sawfly look like?

Well we haven't had any frost up here since i put the gooseberry out only gale force winds and rain
 :evil:

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
gooseberry bush
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 12:45 »
Not much help I know but woollies are very good at refunding for plants that don’t make it
Paul

kezlou

gooseberry bush
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 16:31 »
Don't think i'll take it back to Woolies yet, but thanks Stephen for letting me know did not think shops would take failed plants back.

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
gooseberry bush
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 16:47 »
Quote from: "kezlou"
Well we haven't had any frost up here since i put the gooseberry out only gale force winds and rain
 :evil:

I blamed mine on the wind as it was very windy for weeks after I planted it out at the allotment.  It would have been sheltered at home so maybe thats the problem they didn't take kindly to the wind.

Lee1978

Re: gooseberry bush
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 18:45 »
Quote from: "kezlou"
I think i've killed my gooseberry bush god only knows how but its happened.  :shock:

I bought a plant for £2 out of woolworths it had green leaves and looked healthy and i thought it would it be all right.

The instructions said to soak the roots in water for an hour before planting which i did. Then plant out as normal which i did in quite a large ceramic container.
It seemed fine for about t a week and now its gone brown and has no leaves. Its looks a right state.

Any ideas of how i can revive the poor little blighter?

Thanks in advance

I purchased my bushes from wilkos and planted them in January, exactly the same happened to a few of mine they went brown, but they are starting to produce some green shoots now. I am going to sprinkle some poached egg plant seeds around the bushes as i have heard that this helps keep the saw fly away. :)
Kerry

gobs

gooseberry bush
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 18:55 »
Kez, it's getting a bit late for planting fruit, usually gets to this end, that they dry out in the sun. Roots might be alive though. Do you need to keep it in a planter?

Silly question: does the planter drain well, can you keep it damp all times and what size is it?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

kezlou

gooseberry bush
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 19:48 »
Unfortunately Gobs i do have to keep the gooseberry in the planter as i do not have a garden to put it in. :evil: Still waiting for an allottment been told i'm 35 and 28 on two different list ahh sigh thats for another time.

The container is about 3ft deep, 2ft wide with holes the size of Venus in it!
Because the container drains quite quickly i have to water it in the morning and on the night just to keep the compost moist.

I had no idea that was too late to plant fruit, oops my mistake, hopefully the roots will still be alive for next year. I will just leave it in the container as its permanent home.

Silly question but is too late for strawberry seeds? I put them in a hanging basket about two weeks ago. Also when is the best time to plant fruit?  

Thanks for the advice omegaman1 :)

gobs

gooseberry bush
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 20:03 »
I've never grown gooseberries in containers, so there. But they sound plenty deep enough, I'm not sure about the width, but should do.

Keep the soil rich and damp and also feed in a container. Cut back this now dead bits, which will encourage new growth.

Best to plant fruit during winter time, your strawberry seed should be ok, depending what it is, it might or might not do much this year.

clip
Gooseberry bush

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2016, 19:49
by Trikidiki
xx
Gooseberry bush

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2022, 11:18
by snowdrops
clip
Gooseberry bush

9 Replies
Last post July 06, 2016, 18:19
by Yorkie
xx
Gooseberry Bush

Started by begbrook on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 12, 2020, 18:42
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 35 queries.