Broad beans,

• 56 Replies

missmoneypenny

Re: Broad beans,
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2023, 13:32 »
Just painted Aquadulce today, in pots in the back yard, that way if weather gets atrocious between now and March I can bring them into an unheated room. 

Grubbypaws

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2023, 11:45 »
My Suttons are doing well in an unheated greenhouse. They always amaze me. It was minus 4.3C in there yesterday morning and although babies they werent even shivering!

Spoke too soon  :( The stems turned black and they then died. It got down to -12C here. They are in an unheated greenhouse in modules which I think just froze.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2023, 00:39 »
Just painted Aquadulce today, in pots in the back yard, that way if weather gets atrocious between now and March I can bring them into an unheated room.

I may try planting in pots too.  I purchased some Aquadulce with a recent seed order.  I may try some outdoors in pots, with the thought of putting them in the crawl space under the house if needed.  Are you planning on leaving them in pots, or putting them in the ground eventually?

I will leave enough seeds to try again in the autumn.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2023, 09:19 »
Our BBs are thin and straggly but look as though they will perk up come the global warming!  I'll be glad to ditch the plastic I have protecting them, the rattling is driving me round the twist! :D  Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Candide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2023, 19:36 »
Hmm, got me thinking.  Might try a dozen seeds in unheated greenhouse.  The last 6 in pots in backyard went black and died during December freeze so would like some follow ons for the ones in the ground

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2023, 09:56 »
I’ve got Wizard field beans overwintering on the plot.  They are tough as can be and generally just shrug off any weather the winter wants to chuck their way.  They were looking a bit bedraggled last time I went, but still standing and will be getting going again soon.

Sowing normal broad beans in late January in an unheated greenhouse worked well for me last year.  I’ve got seeds ready and will be getting on with that in a week or 2  :)

Odders

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2023, 22:32 »

I may try planting in pots too.  I purchased some Aquadulce with a recent seed order.  I may try some outdoors in pots, with the thought of putting them in the crawl space under the house if needed.  Are you planning on leaving them in pots, or putting them in the ground eventually?

Try a few of them now to see how you get on from a mid January planting - should be ready early July, so miss the worst of the GA heat (I've friends in Rome & Dawsonville - was over in November).

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2023, 02:22 »

Try a few of them now to see how you get on from a mid January planting - should be ready early July, so miss the worst of the GA heat (I've friends in Rome & Dawsonville - was over in November).

I might give it a shot to see what happens, but we often get temps over 32 C in June, and I have experienced 42 C in June as well!  (42 C was highly unusual, a record high).  This autumn, I will try chitting seeds earlier, most likely in late August or in September, depending on the weather.

I'm glad you had a chance to visit Georgia in November.  If you are ever back this way again, try visiting Cloudland Canyon, especially in late October to early November.  Beautiful fall color.  It is about an hour or so north of Rome, Georgia, in the far northwest part of the state. 

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2023, 19:13 »
Reviving a somewhat old thread, with a question.

Back in December, a deep freeze (far colder than our normal) killed all of my broad bean plants . . . except for one plant.  That plant lost the top leaves, but sprouted from the base.  I now have multiple stems, maybe 14 to 18 inches tall, that have been blooming for 3 or more weeks. 
What's the question?  With all those flowers, I was thinking that I would see a bean pod or two developing.  I haven't even seen a hint of a bean pod developing. 

We have had relatively mild weather, a few temperatures just a bit below freezing in the early morning, but mostly warmer.  Day temperatures mostly in the 18 to 24 C range, but occasionally a degree or two warmer.  Rain has been fairly typical for the time of year. 

The plant is growing in a raised bed in which compost is mixed with mineral soil.  I haven't really fooled with fertilizer in 2023, though I may have applied a little when I re-planted peas in a different area in the same bed.

Am I being too impatient?  I haven't grown broad beans before (our climate is marginal for them) I'm just curious why I'm getting loads of flowers but no beans at all.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2023, 22:28 »
Are there plenty of pollinators around ? 

Although Broad beans are self fertile, they do better if pollinated by insects too.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2023, 06:10 »
Bees and other flying and crawling pollinators are already very active in my yard, though I haven't specifically seen any pollinators on this plant.  We have a holly tree 15 meters away that is humming with a variety of bees.

Oddpod

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2023, 09:18 »

If broad beans are in dry soil they need water to produce nectar, pollinators will not come to the flowers if there is no nectar.

I see you have had normal rainfall for your region but it may be worth checking the raised bed?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2023, 09:42 »

If broad beans are in dry soil they need water to produce nectar, pollinators will not come to the flowers if there is no nectar.

I see you have had normal rainfall for your region but it may be worth checking the raised bed?

Thank you, I'll keep an eye on moisture, but the soil in that bed seems pretty moist. As you say, it is worth checking, I'll do that.

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2023, 00:58 »
Planted mine in oct aqua dolce about 3 inch high Bobbie they don’t need support until they get a bit bigger also I personally find I don’t
Get black fly if I plant over winter every time I’ve spring planted o got black fly

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2023, 08:59 »
Spring planted have much sappier shoots which is why they get more black fly I think. I pinch off the tops when they are in full flower and don't get them

xx
Broad beans without broad beans inside!

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 16:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
exclamation
French beans and broad beans

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 13:44
by lovemyveg
xx
Why do some broad beans have big pods but no beans?

Started by Mrs Bee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 21:40
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 50 queries.