First Allotment - Any Advice

• 9 Replies

Sparkyweb

First Allotment - Any Advice
« on: October 01, 2022, 09:14 »
Hi all,

Been lurking here for ages and an occasional poster. The past few years I have been mainly growing veg on a small plot in my garden and supplementing with stuff in pots. Anyway, yesterday the council rang me after 2 years on the waiting list and let me know that I am top of the list with a plot available.
I am going to view this next week and then the real adventure starts…..

I feel this is a little daunting, so thought I’d ask here for any advice such as what to do or not on taking over a plot, things you would have done different etc. Should I leave it for a bit, start growing straight away (thinking garlic etc.)
At the moment, the only thing I know about the plot is that its 3.5 rods.

Thanks
Mark

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
Re: First Allotment - Any Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 11:34 »
Check that there is no (known) allium white rot on the plot before buying garlic.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 15:01 »
John has some useful advice here, plus there are plenty of other articles to keep you busy :)
https://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment-information/clearing-new-allotment/

That's a nice size for a beginner to take on, not too daunting. Good luck with it..

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 18:01 »
Congratulations on your prospective new plot  :D

I would get going as soon as you can. Doubtless there will be weeds, and the ground is quite easy to work at the moment after recent rain, probably. You don't want to leave it until it's cold and wet, and the soil sticks to your boots, in the new year to make a start.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 18:56 »
If your plot needs weeding and digging, I would suggest that you always dig facing the section you have already worked.  It seems less daunting than looking at an expanse of wilderness!  Take a look around the other plots and see what they are growing, ask others about their successes and failures and you will hopefully avoid trying to grow varieties that simply don't do well.  Every plot holder, be they experienced or beginners will always have successes and failures every year.  Plant enough variety of veg/fruit so that something will always give you a decent crop.  Every season is different, just roll with it. Finally - enjoy it, enjoy the company and to start with, unless you are super fit, don't try to do too much at once.  At this time of the year you have the entire winter to ready your plot for the spring sowing and planting season. You will, no doubt, get plenty of advice, but twenty different gardeners will have twenty different ways of doing things, just do whichever suits you best. 

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 00:15 »
Digging tip loosen ground with a fork before digging if compacted also don’t feel like you have to dig loads in one stint I sometime
S I will dig 3-or4 spits if I’m there rather than dig loads it’s amazing before you know it you’ve dug a bed without breaking your back you always tend to dig more but don’t put to much pressure on ya self or you get overwhelmed and quit also cover it after before more weed grow back

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 23:09 »
Congratulations on the new plot!
Echo what others have said about not overdoing it early on and covering where you've dug. Also, if the plot is overgrown keep and eye out for fruit bushes or permanent planting and if there are hedges, consider if they are acting as windbreaks. Also worth asking other plotholders about the site, we had built a shed before the natural spring appeared as weather got worse. Fortunately we were able to put a drain in but could have done without the work.
Good luck!!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 18:47 »
Start out with things that you know that you can grow, and know that your household will use.  Open up and work a small area to start growing a few things you know you can succeed with. If you have had good luck with peas and potatoes in the small garden, maybe start with that in the allotment.  It is better to start with getting one or two beds prepared really well and getting them planted rather than trying to establish fifteen beds and running out of steam before any plants are in the ground!

This time of year, if I was starting an allotment here, for my family, I would probably start with growing a good crop of lettuce, spinach and other greens, maybe some snow peas.  Planting a large turnip bed would not be worth it, my family just doesn't eat that many of them. Your preferences might be totally different from mine however!

Get a little experience under your belt, and more ground in good shape, then you can move on to devoting small areas to crops that you want to try, but maybe you haven't grown or eaten before.  Is 2023 the year you try a small patch of kohlrabi?  Who knows!

"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

ceba

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2022, 11:40 »
Congratulations! I’m an allotment newbie (I got my keys Nov last year) and there are lots of things I’d do differently if I were to start again, but you live and learn. My plot (a half plot) hadn’t been tended for a while and was covered in weeds and junk. If I were starting again this is what I’d do:
1) Clear away all of the junk so that you can see the bare bones of your plot. If you like the layout you’re in luck, otherwise make a plan of the layout you want.
2) Take lots of photos so you can see your progress - sometimes you need the boost as it can feel like you’re getting nowhere.
3) Get as much cardboard / black plastic as you can and cover up ALL the bed spaces as soon as possible. Lift only the bits you are going to work on, and cover again once dug over to stop weeds (unless you’re doing no dig). Don’t walk on them after you’ve dug them…oops!!!
4) Do as much of the groundwork as you can now and over winter, every time there’s a dry spell get digging! It means you can start growing something as soon as the spring comes - seeing your own plants growing is such great motivation. However, it is better to do a small bit well than the whole plot badly.
5) Be patient with seed planting in early spring, otherwise you end up with a house full of tiny seedlings and no space to grow them on ::) (but it’s so hard to not get over excited after winter!!!)
6) Weeds are tenacious and grow constantly - be brutal with them! Make sure you dig out as much of the roots as you can. We have thistle, docks, mares tail, bind weed and they just keep coming back which is soul-destroying. I’ve avoided spraying this year but I’m going to spray in early spring next year.
7) Chat with the other plot holders - they have so much knowledge - but be aware that everyone will give you different advise. You will find out about which invasive weeds and animal pests you need to be aware of - and it’s great to have a shared moan.
8) If you need manure / timber / pallets / slabs / sheds / greenhouses download the “nextdoor” app put out a friendly request for them. I was inundated with offers and got so much for free - it’s amazing what people want to get rid of. Also look on Facebook marketplace and Freecycle.

Enjoy it! It’s so lovely to be out in the open air getting exercise, growing your own produce and making new friends. Just remember, when you are eating your first homegrown new potato, that YOU DID THAT!!!

Sparkyweb

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2022, 17:21 »
This is all amazing advice thanks so much everyone!
I got the keys during the week and have just returned from a day down at the plot marking out the beds and paths and generally starting to clear out. Also managed to get a 4.2m x 1.5m bed rough dug over and a second cleared off with assistance from a friend.

Found out the plot although its north facing a a bit shaded has produced well in the past, the previous tennant  hasn’t used it for approx 3 years but always well tended and lots of compost and other organic material. We noticed that the soil was pretty nice under the weeds!

xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
can anyone help with advice on my new allotment please??

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post March 15, 2007, 22:26
by mkhenry
xx
New to allotment and looking for advice :-)

Started by FarmerRich on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post July 23, 2013, 11:50
by wil4025
xx
New allotment advice

Started by johnyboy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 20:08
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.511 seconds with 47 queries.