Oven Economy ?

• 17 Replies

mrs bouquet

Oven Economy ?
« on: September 06, 2022, 15:21 »
Starting to think about more ways to be oven-ready.    :D     Packs often say fan oven at 170C or ordinary at 200c  for an example.   I have always used fan, which is the big oven, but would it be more economic to use the smaller one at a higher degree.    Not sure now.     :unsure: :unsure:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

AndyRVTR

Re: Oven Economy ?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 15:58 »
I would guess it depends on the kwh of each oven?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 17:34 »
I use the small (non-fan) oven for everything, unless I've got the whole family here.
I just think you must use less fuel to heat a smaller oven space...

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 17:40 »
Yes I’ve said to hubby we must start to be more energy aware with the oven usage. We bought a new oven earlier this year (I think, could be late last year  :mellow:) it has a ‘plate’ to divide the oven (single) into 2 halves can still use both halves at the same time but at different temperatures, but we have tended to just use the top half. Apart from now when I’ve got tomatoes roasting & a lamb hotpot cooking so need the oven ‘big’ but I did wonder if it was cheaper that way or to put the tomatoes in before or after the hotpot was cooked  ???
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 17:41 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 17:52 »
Earlier this year, because of both of us having higher cholesterol than the doctors like, I invested in an air fryer. At least this way, hubby can still have many of the foods he likes but without the added fats. I bought one that air fries, bakes, roasts, crisps and dehydrates etc. Since having this I rarely use my oven, unless I'm baking bread and then I make sure that I can fill it. Today, I needed to use up some over-the-hill bananas, so I've just finished baking two loaves of banana bread. It looks and smells lovely, but we've yet to taste it as it's still warm.  If it's ok, I'll have to invest in a couple of baking containers that fit into the drawers of the fryer as I used paper liners and have ended up with two loaves that have 'spread' a bit.
There are only two of us at home now, and I've even done a Sunday lunch in it, other than the veg that needs water in order to cook, but that gets done in the one pot with a 3-way divider. Pressure cook or steam, whatever you like to use.  Having checked our power bill for the past couple of months I can already see that it is making a difference.
 The dehydrater isn't worth bothering with as the capacity isn't big enough, but I didn't buy it for that and so far I'm really pleased with it.  Less washing up too!!

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 21:35 »
Looking at the cost of energy I’ve just bought a slow cooker to compliment my electric oven.
Tried a couple of recipes so far beef in red wine and chicken with mushrooms.
All good apart from the need to thicken the sauce somewhat watery??
From what I can see there are lots of US videos online with recipe suggestions.
Will have to see if it makes any difference to bills.

Keep digging

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 22:00 »
Are you using slow cooker recipes or standard casserole recipes?

You usually need to reduce liquid and increase flavourings in slow cooker recipes if converting from standard recipes.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 08:29 »
Slow cooker recipes I’m afraid but I have seen various suggestions for thickening online. But I have only had the slow cooker for a couple of days. Thanks for advice.

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2022, 09:09 »
All good apart from the need to thicken the sauce somewhat watery??

Don't forget a lot of supermarket meat is pumped full of water and preservatives there's no escape for in the slowcooker and it really alters the liquid balance.

I really miss having a single oven, it feels such a waste to put a large one on for a few oven chips or a bit of chicken.   If it wasn't for the constant clutter of gadgets everywhere I'd switch to an air fryer. Between the slow cooker and that I doubt I'd use a traditional oven anymore.

jaydig

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2022, 09:42 »
I agree with Yorkie,  I tend to only put in a small amount of liquid initially, barely enough to come up to the level of the other contents, even less if the recipe calls for mushrooms or tomatoes.  I check on progress and only add more if there is a need to.  Either that, or if I've over-estimated I make a slurry with cornflour about 45 mins before the end of cooking time and add this to the slow cooker to thicken the gravy/sauce.  It's trial and error and you'll find out how best to achieve the right balance as you go along. 

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2022, 21:04 »
An air fryer is a worth while investment in my view.  The benefits on energy saving fall away if you use it for long periods, or so I have read.  The oven clicks on and off to maintain a heat, while the air fryer uses power continually.

I rarely fill my oven to cook for just 2 of us, so it makes sense for me to use the air fryer instead.  It is a new purchase, so I haven’t cooked a lot in it yet, but it is very fast and very easy to use.  For a tray bake I just add the potatoes and hard veg in first, next the meat, then the quicker cooking veg at the end.  There are loads of recipes on line but if in doubt, set the timer for 8-10 mins, then check and reset as you need - simples  :)

I have a slow cooker, so have just gone for a basic model, but friends at work say the big do everything models are very good if you want to have just the single gadget.  The Ninja multi cookers have been particularly praised, but they are a big outlay (£200 ish).

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2022, 08:29 »
An interesting discussion on Radio 4 on Sunday morning about the energy usage of different types of oven, mostly in the context of cooking the 'traditional' Sunday roast.

One of the contributors had worked out, if my memory serves me correctly, that conventional electric ovens are by far the most costly, air fryers about one third of that cost, and conventional gas ovens slightly cheaper still.

Air fryers are clearly a more efficient option if you don't have a gas oven.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mrs bouquet

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2022, 14:46 »
Yes I’ve said to hubby we must start to be more energy aware with the oven usage. We bought a new oven earlier this year (I think, could be late last year  :mellow:) it has a ‘plate’ to divide the oven (single) into 2 halves can still use both halves at the same time but at different temperatures, but we have tended to just use the top half. Apart from now when I’ve got tomatoes roasting & a lamb hotpot cooking so need the oven ‘big’ but I did wonder if it was cheaper that way or to put the tomatoes in before or after the hotpot was cooked  ???
  I would add the tomatoes near the end.  But I would cook that meal in my slow-cooker.  Mrs B

mrs bouquet

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2022, 14:49 »
  I would add the toms near the end.  But se my slow cooker anyway.   I like to let lamb go cold to remove the fat, I am not too keen on that.  Mrs B

mrs bouquet

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2022, 14:53 »
Slow cooker recipes I’m afraid but I have seen various suggestions for thickening online. But I have only had the slow cooker for a couple of days. Thanks for advice.
I normally add a heaped tspn of cornflower mixed in a drop of the liquor in the pot about 30 before I am going to eat.   Mrs B

xx
Economy 7 - yet again...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post July 13, 2019, 13:05
by jezza
xx
Smart meter on Economy 7...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post May 17, 2020, 21:02
by Growster...
moved
MOVED: Mini oven with hob

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post February 11, 2023, 09:55
by mumofstig
xx
cleaning the oven roof

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post February 23, 2019, 16:22
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 50 queries.