Nematodes for Asparagus Beetle

• 5 Replies

flyguy

Nematodes for Asparagus Beetle
« on: June 30, 2022, 14:09 »
It's back again, the dreaded asparagus beetle and their grubby offspring. Over the years I've sprayed, put up physical barriers, encouraged ladybirds and their larvae, picked and squished. Spraying is most effective, provanto, but not kind to other biologicals though.

I've seen asparagus beetle nematodes advertised this year, through dragonfli. I'm going to give them a go but wondered if anyone else has tried them and has any tips or success / failure stories

Thanks in advance

Chris

flyguy

Re: Nematodes for Asparagus Beetle
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 22:29 »
I'm just reporting back on my trial of the nematodes. One application so far. This was applied when the little grubs was really heavy. I was doubtful a few weeks later. They still seemed present in reasonable numbers. Plus the beetles. I looked again today and only found one grub. No beetles.

I can't be sure this is all down to the nematodes, I didn't do a control area that wasn't treated. So it's possible the exceptional heatwave conditions didn't favour the beetle.

Has anyone else found asparagus beetle numbers down markedly this year?

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 22:48 »
I’ve seen relatively few asparagus beetles this year.
They didn’t impact my asparagus crop significantly before I stopped picking.
I haven’t looked at them recently as I have left them to grow and capture energy for next year. My next job will be to cut them down when they start to die back.
Nematodes sounds interesting depending on how much they cost if I have a greater problem with them.
Keep digging

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 19:43 »
Nothing much really now, beetles or grubs but earlier on I was picking 100+ beetles some days but not many grubs so I assumed I got to them before they had ‘fun’!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

flyguy

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 20:57 »
Interesting comments on lack of beetle this year. I usually have a very substantial problem, picking 100 a day snowdrops sounds like a heavy infestation. I'm amazed you can keep on top of them.

Maybe the really hot sunny period shriveled all of the grubs up rather than the benefit of nematodes. I normally expect a couple of cycle of beetle laying grubs each year, with lots present in September. It looks like only one cycle this year for whatever reason

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 12:08 »
Interesting comments on lack of beetle this year. I usually have a very substantial problem, picking 100 a day snowdrops sounds like a heavy infestation. I'm amazed you can keep on top of them.

Maybe the really hot sunny period shriveled all of the grubs up rather than the benefit of nematodes. I normally expect a couple of cycle of beetle laying grubs each year, with lots present in September. It looks like only one cycle this year for whatever reason

I tend to check every day at least once or twice when I go to the chickens but sadly there’s a plot not far from me that has asparagus & beetles & bugs aplenty & they don’t seem to bother,I assume that’s where mine come from!

xx
Asparagus beetle

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 20, 2014, 18:51
by Yorkie
xx
Asparagus beetle

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 23:08
by Lardman
xx
Asparagus Beetle

Started by fatcat1955 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 13:12
by Trikidiki
xx
Asparagus Beetle ?

Started by vjt on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 29, 2010, 17:56
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 42 queries.