Reusing potato compost

• 7 Replies

Ianhhhhjikm

Reusing potato compost
« on: February 17, 2022, 08:02 »
Hi, I've got 10 containers full of used potato compost. I want to make a raised bed, using this compost,  to grow either parsnips or carrots. 
What do I need to add to this, nutrition wise,  considering that I will want to sow the seeds soon?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Reusing potato compost
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 08:21 »
What you need to add will depend on the quality of the original compost, and what you added to it through the most recent crop.

Really the only way to know is to take a  soil sample and get specific recommendations from the lab for a specific crop.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 09:08 »
I'd just add a handful of BF&B to each tub's contents before spreading it on the bed.

Ianhhhhjikm

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 11:49 »
Hi, thanks for your replies.
As it is a glorious day here,  I've been down the allotment and emptied the containers already!   I'll add the BF&B and rake it in. Will it be ok to sow carrots in this ? I think parsnips will be ok

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 12:30 »
Hi, thanks for your replies.
As it is a glorious day here,  I've been down the allotment and emptied the containers already!   I'll add the BF&B and rake it in. Will it be ok to sow carrots in this ? I think parsnips will be ok

Unless you usually have success sowing parsnips this early, I’d leave it a lot later until the soil has warmed up. April is plenty early enough to get a great crop. I don’t know why packets quote Feb for sowing parsnips and blame this for many people having problems with germination.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 15:27 »
we always use all our old compost's on the raised beds mix it with 6x on some beds and a Growmore mix on other beds  never had any probs reusing any spent compost we also found if there's grubs in the compost the birds soon polish them of  :D

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2022, 07:32 »
sounds ideal use of old compost  after clearing one of our beds we sowed carrots [early nantes] in june
the germination was so good and good carrots that we now wait until much later to sow   good luck with what you choose'
from bow like to grow

cc

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2022, 19:03 »
I am afraid I use it for tomatoes with some of my own compost at the bottom. I will not be doing it this year as i part dehydrate tomatoes and put them in oil with herbs. I have found I still have some from 2019. Enough is enough so carrots this year. Small troughs, so Parisian market and little fingers.

xx
Reusing Compost

Started by Sophie_Chilli on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 16, 2010, 13:22
by Sophie_Chilli
xx
Reusing compost after blighted tomatoes have been grown in it.

Started by ronfred on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2010, 17:28
by madcat
xx
Reusing empty compost bags for tomatoes

Started by Jaybees on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 19, 2021, 07:47
by Growster...
xx
re-using potato compost??

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 09, 2010, 22:26
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 45 queries.