New Kettle

• 20 Replies

mrs bouquet

New Kettle
« on: January 08, 2022, 12:23 »
The time has come for a new kettle.  I have spent hours looking at them on line, and trying to decide, shall I have plastic or steel, or glass.  I have dismissed glass, as I only need a 1 litre kettle that will boil me 1 mug of water.   Then, there is rapid boil, colour boil, quiet boil, easy grip, easy clean.  Some with a gauge to tell me how hot it is for tea or coffee etc etc.  Then the prices !  and the reviews.    How difficult life has become with so many choices.  I just want a cuppa  :D  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Lardman

Re: New Kettle
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 12:27 »
I have a breville one cup and wouldn't go back to a normal kettle. It much quicker and means no lifting a heavy hot kettle full of boiling water which is an added bonus.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 17:25 by Lardman »

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 13:20 »
I have a breville one cup and wouldn't go back to a kettle normal. It much quicker and means no lifting a heavy hot kettle full of boiling water which is an added bonus.

Yes we bought my mum something like that & she loved it, she used a jug to fill it in small amounts as she struggled to lift things in her last few years.
We’ve invested in a ‘hot tap’ wasn’t sure I’d like it but I wish we’d had one years ago except the prices were ooh la la, ours was a much cheaper but hopefully not having to keep buying kettles regularly it will pay for itself
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 16:00 »
I have a breville one cup and wouldn't go back to a kettle normal. It much quicker and means no lifting a heavy hot kettle full of boiling water which is an added bonus.
Is that the one where you stand your cup under it on a drip tray and it delivers your hot water  ?  I think I looked at that.   If so, how does it know when to stop delivering water into my mug, do I stop it somehow. Also how do I fill it up as I only want a little amount.  Lardy, please explain in simple words   :D :D  Mrs B

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 16:04 »
Yes we bought my mum something like that & she loved it, she used a jug to fill it in small amounts as she struggled to lift things in her last few years.
We’ve invested in a ‘hot tap’ wasn’t sure I’d like it but I wish we’d had one years ago except the prices were ooh la la, ours was a much cheaper but hopefully not having to keep buying kettles regularly it will pay for itself

Please can you remember what make it was and I can check it out.   Is your tap a Quooker, but D-in-L has two in her kitchen sinks, they frighten the B'Jesus out of me.    :ohmy: :ohmy: :lol: :lol:  Mrs B

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 16:11 »
I think those taps look scary as well, I think I'd probable scald myself thinking I was putting my hands under warm water....and getting boiling  :ohmy:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 16:33 »
My Mum has recently bought herself a small dualit kettle, rather like this one.

I'm not sure how much she paid for it or where she got it, but the lid is fairly easy to open in order to get water into it, she uses filtered water as she's in a hard water area, and it has a concealed element so that she doesn't have to put more water into it than she wants to boil.

I was quite impressed  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 16:34 »
Is that the one where you stand your cup under it on a drip tray and it delivers your hot water  ?  I think I looked at that.   If so, how does it know when to stop delivering water into my mug, do I stop it somehow.

Those are they - the cheaper ones deliver a fixed amount of water the more expensive have an adjustment and they deliver only that amount per "boil" (I bought ML the adjustable one as her tea cups were much smaller than standard mugs) . It holds the same amount as a kettle but doesn't heat the rest of the water. 

Once set you only get 1 mugs worth of hot water at a time. As it heats such a small amount it only takes 20-30 seconds which is an added bonus as there's no standing around waiting for the kettle to boil. Fine for tea/coffee for 1 or 2 but not so useful if you entertain lots. 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 17:01 »
That's really interesting - I'd assumed that they kept the water on the boil, which seemed awfully inefficient.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2022, 15:06 »
Thanks Lardy for that info.  I have to go into Town tomorrow, I shall try to see one in the flesh !!  Mrs B

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2022, 16:18 »
Good afternoon everyone, we had a bog standard shiny metal kettle, no whistles or gadgets and it was as shiny and clear of limescale build-up from the day Mam bought it untill the day I left for the RAF about 16 years later!  Good clean soft Lake District water.

I trained at RAF Halton Aylesbury Bucks and could never stomach the hard water for years.  Cheers,  Tony.

I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2022, 18:04 »
Mrs B, I think it was the Breville like Lardman mentions and yes ours is like a quooker but was a cheaper version. It did frighten me to begin with & I wouldn’t have it if I had youngish children who might be wanting to use it. You have to press a button in as you turn that part of the tap which is a different part to the tap part for ordinary hot & old water.
I think the one cup might be just the thing for you to be honest. Unless as Lardman says you entertain a lot or make a large pot of tea on a regular basis or filling a cafetière

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2022, 20:48 »
Rather sadly, I 'inherited' a one cup/mug kettle from my best friend after her mum died.  :(

It's very energy efficient, but not ideal if you need more than a cup/mugfull.

Current kettle is a Cookworks fast boil model - £8 when bought (slow boil version a quid dearer, and no pretty blue light either!)  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jezza

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2022, 10:48 »
Hello a word of caution with those fancy all singing all dancing taps,I know some one whi had one fitted the whole family were very
ill after it was fitted they had got liptosporidium that was in the under sink heater    jezza

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2022, 18:53 »
I've just had to order a new kettle as - somehow - the on switch got activated by accident on my current kettle, without any water in it ... I did wonder what the smoking smell was!  :ohmy:

Whilst I spotted it in time, and the kettle still works, I'm not trusting it to boil water for a drink as the element has some rusty bits on it.

So, I went onto Which and have ordered this one - was well reviewed, looks rather fancy and I'm very excited by a) the ability to boil as little water as I want, and b) the electric blue LED lights in the base  :lol:

xx
Kettle v flask v microwave

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post October 22, 2022, 15:02
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 50 queries.