What I did on the plot today 2022

• 125 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
What I did on the plot today 2022
« on: January 01, 2022, 15:36 »
Happy growing everyone!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

GraciesGran

Re: What I did on the plot today 2022
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 16:07 »
Went and looked. Son covered mine in black weed suppressant to give me a fighting chance when I get the ok from the surgeon.  Son planted green manure which needs cutting down and digging in.  Lovely to be getting out and about.

MrsPea

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 17:10 »
Haven't started on veg plot yet , but i was able to cut down some shrubs this morning it was just good being in the garden for a while  :)
I Love my green house

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 22:10 »
Checked on plot. Still there. That’s good.  :)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 23:28 »
Looked out the window at the garden whilst chomping on a bacon sarnie.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 18:39 »
Just checked the  garden. The lettuce is a little beaten up from all the rain but should get back on track if it ever stops raining. Spinach and Swiss chard both are looking great, like they could care less about all the rain.

Snow and snap peas are 6 to 12 inches tall but trailing on the ground, and a bit leggy.  I'll get them on the trellis after a few weeks of colder weather pass through.

My few Brussels sprouts plants were knocked to the ground, I propped them up, still hoping they'll produce eventually. 

New carrot seedlings look ok, radishes that are inter-cropped with them have gotten very leggy after several warm, wet, and mostly sunless days. Newer radish plantings are just coming up, I should get something from those.

The turnips I planted are also leggy for the same reason. It shouldn't matter too much, as I planted them mostly for turnip greens. I think they will be Ok.

Fescue overseeded in the lawn is starting out OK. I planted a turf-type, endophyte-containing variety that has improved drought, heat and disease resistance (but not a pasture type due to the endophytes).  I'll apply some fertilizer during the next dry/mild spell that promises some rain and mild temperatures after.

I still have a couple orchids outdoors, a Cymbidium that has 4 flower spikes coming along, and a Coelogyne cristata (snow orchid) from the Himalayas that may also be getting a flower spike.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 18:43 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 19:47 »
Today I planted 2 bags of autumn onion sets & 2 bulbs of garlic that I was donated from Dobbies along with a trolley full of the same!! A garden club member & fellow allotment holder who who works there rang me the other day to see if I wanted them as they needed to clear the decks before a stock take  :) so I said yes please- wasn’t expecting quite so many, but they’ll be a bonus for our members when the store reopens next Sunday & they come to renew their membership.
I planted some outside & some in the tunnel. I also disturbed a large rat  :ohmy: in the compost bin that I was adding to.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 20:03 »
Today I planted 2 bags of autumn onion sets & 2 bulbs of garlic that I was donated from Dobbies along with a trolley full of the same!!
Good old Dobbies !   I think it’s great that usable stock is recycled in this way . We should all cultivate (!) a good relationship with our local GC , so that they think of their local furtlers before binning  :)

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 13:31 »
fingers crossed will visit plot tomorrow forecast cold but sunny.
I need to burn cut down asparagus ferns
Checked this pm ground wet but not too bad. Garlic and leeks look ok.
Some signs of life at home with daffodils starting to poke up through lawn.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 20:28 by Hampshire Hog »
Keep digging

Longshanks

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 09:34 »
I found an old pack of aubergines, which was three years out of date. I sprinkled them on some compost in a tray and put them in my propagator. I think they've all come up and now they're a bit leggy. Doh! 

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 17:11 »
Planning how to convert a wonky shed to a wonky greenhouse. I also walked around the whole allotment and was quite surprised  how many people don't use their plot over winter. Most greenhouses with no salads etc, not much in the way of winter hardy crops outside.

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2022, 20:35 »
Planning how to convert a wonky shed to a wonky greenhouse. I also walked around the whole allotment and was quite surprised  how many people don't use their plot over winter. Most greenhouses with no salads etc, not much in the way of winter hardy crops outside.
It’s the same on my allotments , can’t understand why really , we are on an alkaline soil , so brassicas would do splendidly , but very rarely seen .  :)

rowlandwells

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 14:43 »
picked all  the sprouts cleared the ground ready to winter dig that patch yesterday today helped the wife blanch the sprouts for freezing

then went out in the garden  took all the Christmas  lights down and packed them away then it started snowing that turned to rain so we made a sharp exit out the garden in the house

rowlandwells

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2022, 17:21 »
not to much put the wood the wood ash that had been collected for a month through a sieve to get any nails etc out then had an hour and half in the workshop sharpening tools and cleaning plastic plant labels then got cold so packed up for the day ;)

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2022, 00:00 »
We are due for some cold tonight (-3 °C), and this coming weekend, so I have covered the 2 raised beds with tender plants in them, and pulled pine straw over the top of the snow peas to protect them.

We may actually get to either snow, or an ice storm, this coming Sunday.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 53 queries.