sweetcorn

• 5 Replies

clym tc

sweetcorn
« on: June 11, 2020, 18:52 »
hi, new here and new to an allotment.  Just taken over half of an overgrown allotment so I have plenty of time to clear it and get it ready for planting.  I am planning on three (or four?) separate areas to rotate annually - root crops, brassicas and beans/peas but, should I decide to have a go at growing sweetcorn, which group should it be planted with - or in a small plot on it own?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 21:00 »
Hello, and welcome to the forum.
The site's advice on vegetable families and crop rotation says
sweetcorn, can be considered out of the family groups and safely intermixed with them.

It's here for further reading...
https://www.allotment-garden.org/crop-rotation/crop-rotation-plant-families-groups/

Basically plant it anywhere there is room for it  :D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 21:01 by mumofstig »

maddave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 08:57 »
Just to add; Definitely have a go at sweetcorn!! When it works, it's the best thing ever!! Picked fresh, it tastes so much nicer than anything you can get at the supermarket!

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 17:14 »
Plant it in a block, not a row, otherwise it won't pollinate properly and you will get cobs with only some edible yellow bits.

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 23:43 »
I use a 5 bed system - bed 5 is designated as "others" which includes sweetcorn.

I built 2 frames that will fit over part of all my beds. This is 18" tall with polythene around the side and removable lid, which in my case is glass because I recently replaced house windows and kept the glass. Polythene would do the same. I sow two batches on the window sill, second batch when the first is ready to go out. Plant out and remove the lid when the corn is pushing against it. This year I had taken off the lids when we had a frost at the beginning of May but they survived it, probably because at over 18 inches tall they were mature enough to do so.

This gives them the long growing season they prefer. Now can anyone tell me how to stop mice eating the ends of the cobs?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 09:20 »
Nothing to add to anyone else's comments but just wanted to say congrats on your new lotty and welcome to the forum!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Sweetcorn??

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 15:42
by Trillium
xx
Sweetcorn.

Started by Potiron on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 12:25
by Lady Rosemary
xx
Sweetcorn help!

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 17:42
by Kristen
xx
Sweetcorn in...

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post May 12, 2011, 09:02
by bigben

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 43 queries.