Grow bags

• 5 Replies

casper

• Experienced Member
Grow bags
« on: June 16, 2019, 21:20 »
Hi, I got a new greenhouse, and without much thought ive had a go at growing everything, my question is can i grow, carrots, beetroot, kale, brocolli, cabbage, butrernut squash, cucumber, courgette,french beans and peas in grow bags, have no prepared beds due to just moving house, thanks

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
Re: Grow bags
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 22:17 »
You can grow most things in a grow bag. The uncertainty lies in the result. The certainty lies in knowing you will not harvest anything at all if you don't plant something!
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 08:47 »
I think the brassicas will be too warm in the greenhouse if that’s what you were intending. I’m not popular for keep suggesting it but have a look at Charles Dowding no dig, some excellent videos on YouTube about how to cover grass with cardboard,then compost & plant the same day 😉
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 19:40 »
Are you planning on growing all of these in the greenhouse, or have just started them off in there?

I agree that the brassicas will find it too warm in the greenhouse.  I'd also wonder about the depth of compost and need for the plants to be firmed in - most grow bags wouldn't enable that enough.

A squash will take up a lot of space - you might run out of space in a greenhouse but it will be fine outside.  You won't get many pea plants in the space of a growbag but the taste of freshly picked peas is always worth a try for.

I wouldn't try to put too many plants in each growbag, as they will all be hungry feeders.  Instead of laying the growbag flat on the ground and planting things on the top of the bag, as you'd expect, I'd cut through the middle of the bag parallel with the short ends, so that you end up with two halves that you can stand on end.  This will create more depth and makes it more like a pot.  Put some drainage holes near the bottom.

Also remember that these plants will be hungry - growbags contain multipurpose compost, which only has enough nutrients for about 6 weeks max.  You will need to feed the plants appropriately after that.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 13:07 »
I've had great success growing both dwarf and climbing French beans in my g-house but haven't used gro-bags because of their shallow depth. You can get green plastic tubs with a serrated bottom that you insert into a bag, fill the inner one with compost, put a plant in each one then give it a good watering. All you do after that is to apply water or a dilute liquid feed into the outer draining tub. The alternative is to use pots of a reasonable depth for their roots.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 17:11 »
thanks so much for reply, I havent a clue what I am doing  will take Brassicas out, I will just dig a plot in the garden and just have a go at planting out, I agree nothing ventured nothong gained, this will be a big learning curve, thanks a lot

xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
grow bags... how many is too many?

Started by lesley1322 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 20:21
by DD.
xx
Grow bags

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2016, 21:51
by chickpeacurry
xx
grow bags

Started by colinc on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 26, 2011, 11:11
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 40 queries.