Overwintered Garlic

• 6 Replies

DHM

• Experienced Member
Overwintered Garlic
« on: May 16, 2019, 23:11 »
Hi, so I planted Germidour and Carcassone Wight Garlic last September. This week I pulled some to see how they were going; Germidour 3 lovely bulbs and 2 with white rot (that will do for me) but the Carcassone is just a stem with straggly roots. I snapped it near the base and could see the tiny divisions of a bulb but zero swelling had occurred.

Is it just too early for the Carcassones or are these plants failures?

AnneB

Re: Overwintered Garlic
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 08:18 »
Not sure without a picture, but even if the plants are healthy I think this is far too early for Carcassonne, which Would be late June or July.  It is a hard neck, has it thrown up any scapes yet?  They normally appear before you would harvest.
I grew Germidour last year and was pleased with it.  Like you I found it ready early, but in June rather than May, but I am further north than you.

jambop

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 08:41 »
I normally grow my garlic in the spring / summer but last year my wife bought some top notch autumn grown garlic at a local market , no idea what the variety was. It was straight from the field beautiful thick green stems and huge bulb. Anyway I planted out some of them when they started to sprout much later that year and grew them over the winter as an experiment. The have done really well... I won't be growing any garlic in the spring again  :nowink: In fact I think the would have done even better if the ground they went into had been better prepared. I am going to keep three or four good sized bulbs for planting in the autumn.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 09:02 »
DHM it is a bit too early for it to be ready, so just give the soil a little feed (BFB or seaweed meal is generally what I use) and leave them until the foliage is dying back before digging them out.

The hardneck ones grow a scape (flower stalk), as MoS mentioned, so cut these off and enjoy eating them.. lovely stirfried or even made into pesto
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 09:48 »
Phew, thanks all, bit of a relief. No scapes as yet so I'll let them crack on.

Thr Germidour are ready really early, though Im only pulling those as I use them as they dont store well. Beautiful looking things too, purple skins with a pure white clove. Deffo grow them again.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 10:19 »
Early Purple Wight is the one that always catches me out as it is sometimes ready at the end of May/early June, it's not a keeper though, so I only plant a few:(
It just helps bridge the gap between last year's and the new ;)

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 13:06 »
Early Purple Wight is the one that always catches me out as it is sometimes ready at the end of May/early June, it's not a keeper though, so I only plant a few:(
It just helps bridge the gap between last year's and the new ;)

We use quite a lot of Garlic so aside from 1 row each of Germidour and Carcassone Wight, we have a further 2 rows of Mersley Wight, a mega keeper. It looks like things have worked out quite nicely, the Germidour finishing early to allow the CWs to swell, allowing a later harvesting of the MW, which should store until next June.

Year round garlic!

sad
Overwintered Garlic going to seed

Started by allotment girl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 13, 2016, 14:46
by allotment girl
xx
Overwintered spuds.

Started by Stree on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 17:46
by Jonajo
xx
Overwintered tomatoes anyone?

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 03, 2020, 21:15
by Growster...
xx
Overwintered Onions

Started by lotstolearn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 11:54
by DD.

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 44 queries.