Too early to harvest garlic?

• 25 Replies

AnneB

Re: Too early to harvest garlic?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2017, 21:49 »
Yes, they seem to be ready early for me this year.  I harvested the variety I planted earliest last October, Albigensian Wight yesterday.   I took the scapes off a couple of weeks ago and they were looking a bit sad so I dug one up and it was a very good size and just right, so they all came up.

Very good crop, no rust this year and good size bulbs.

I think my other varieties Sulmona di Rossi, Red Duke, Mikulov Wight and Topinky Wight will be another few weeks though.  They were planted later.
On reflection, I don't think the variety is Albigensian.  That should be a white softneck garlic, whereas mine is a hardneck red garlic.  It was sold to me as Albigensian, but plainly is not.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 09:02 »
Yes, they seem to be ready early for me this year.  I harvested the variety I planted earliest last October, Albigensian Wight yesterday.   I took the scapes off a couple of weeks ago and they were looking a bit sad so I dug one up and it was a very good size and just right, so they all came up.

I think my other varieties Sulmona di Rossi, Red Duke, Mikulov Wight and Topinky Wight will be another few weeks though.  They were planted later.

On reflection, I don't think the variety is Albigensian.  That should be a white softneck garlic, whereas mine is a hardneck red garlic.  It was sold to me as Albigensian, but plainly is not.

Any chance you dug up the Red Duke? Or maybe it was mislabelled when you bought it, as you said
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AnneB

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 19:53 »

Any chance you dug up the Red Duke? Or maybe it was mislabelled when you bought it, as you said

No.  They are in a different bed and were purchased later from a different supplier.    They look like Early Purple Wight to me.  I contacted the supplier, who has been very fair and given me a refund.

oldgrunge

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 19:57 »
In the past, I always grew my garlic under a cloche. Then I stopped a few years ago, don't know why, as it would probably help in wet winters, which we get a lot of here in Wales!
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 20:10 »
Most of mine are bent over now and yellowing, with some rust on the leaves.  Followed the high winds last week, although that might just be coincidence.

wighty

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 20:34 »
Mine are a variety bought at the Garlic Festival last year, can't remember which kind which I planted in October.  I am on the same level as the garlic farm here on the Island.  Mine have   all yellowed and keeled over, pulled one up today and it's one bulb  and rotten so the rest have come up and been composted. I'll just go keep on going 50m down the road and getting the stuff ready grown .

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 13:29 »
Mine are a variety bought at the Garlic Festival last year, can't remember which kind which I planted in October.  I am on the same level as the garlic farm here on the Island.  Mine have   all yellowed and keeled over, pulled one up today and it's one bulb  and rotten so the rest have come up and been composted. I'll just go keep on going 50m down the road and getting the stuff ready grown .

What a shame! Was it white rot, or just random environmental circumstances?

wighty

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 14:12 »

What a shame! Was it white rot, or just random environmental circumstances?
[/quote]

I've got no idea what it was.  They were just all squishy and the leaves yellow.  They did get swamped by the broad beans which got flattened over them by the heavy rain last week.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 21:31 »
Pulled a couple two weeks ago, they were small, so shoved them back in and applied growmore and pelleted chicken manure followed by a bout of rain. Pulled one on Friday and it has fattened up but I will leave them another couple of weeks I think.

AnneB

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 09:50 »

No.  They are in a different bed and were purchased later from a different supplier.    They look like Early Purple Wight to me.  I contacted the supplier, who has been very fair and given me a refund.
Second thoughts.  Can't be Early Purple Wight as that's a softneck.  Looking at the other garlic this supplier stocks, I think you might be right that it is Red Duke.  I will compare it with the Red Duke from another source that is in the other bed when that is ready!

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 12:39 »
Never grown garlic. But yesterday my next lottie neighbour gave me 2 of her harvest. Reading through this thread I detect there is either soft or hard neck varieties? How can I determine which ones are mine? I asked my kind lottie neighbour what variety they were? Didn't know! Is there a difference of "drying-off" for each type? Any advice please? Thanks. 

clip
Early garlic harvest?

Started by Gardener and Rabbit on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 08, 2016, 19:46
by Nobbie
xx
When to harvest second early potatoes?

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 30, 2015, 09:10
by chillimummy
xx
When to harvest my Wilja 2nd Early's

Started by mike2niner4 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 21:45
by richyrich7
xx
When to harvest early potatoes

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2015, 17:25
by JimB

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 35 queries.