Too early to harvest garlic?

• 25 Replies

juvenal

• Experienced Member
Too early to harvest garlic?
« on: June 10, 2017, 16:06 »
My garlic tops were looking yellow and sickly so I harvested it today. Average size corms only.

Anyone else lifting it yet?

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Re: Too early to harvest garlic?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 16:51 »
My parents lifted theirs last week (kent coast). Mine will be another week or 2 I think (Hertfordshire)

madcat

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 16:57 »
It will be another 3 weeks plus here .....  they had a bit of a rough start though.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 17:01 »
There are many different varieties of both autumn and early spring planted garlic, all of which will have their own inherent growth and maturity rates, but will also be influenced by the weather since they were planted out.

Mine were planted on 28th Feb, and will be about another month from now - they are a hardneck variety and are usually ready about 2 weeks after the scapes form (which I remove and eat!)

Once the foliage is more dead than alive there's no point leaving them in any longer - they won't get any bigger, and the cloves may even start to sprout, which you definitely don't want to happen.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

victoria park

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 17:31 »
Once the foliage is more dead than alive there's no point leaving them in any longer - they won't get any bigger, and the cloves may even start to sprout
Thanks for that JG. I'm not an expert garlic grower, but have been surprised with the furtled size of my garlic this year, both hard and soft. The hardneck are coming up tomorrow now.

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 18:50 »
Yes, they seem to be ready early for me this year.  I harvested the variety I planted earliest last October, Albigensian Wight yesterday.   I took the scapes off a couple of weeks ago and they were looking a bit sad so I dug one up and it was a very good size and just right, so they all came up.

Very good crop, no rust this year and good size bulbs.

I think my other varieties Sulmona di Rossi, Red Duke, Mikulov Wight and Topinky Wight will be another few weeks though.  They were planted later.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 18:59 »
Mine are dying back now too. Wilko specials (one pink, one white variety) which were planted in the Autumn.. mid October time.

We have eaten a couple "green" as they were in the way of something else, and they were pretty decent.

Giving them another week or two, depending on the weather and then out they will come.

Lesson learned last year: if you want to make a garlic plait, leave the stems on 🤣🤣
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 19:28 »
Mine are dying back, I will be getting them out soon I think as last year I waited a bit too long,then we had loads of rain & many rotted, they were Autumn planted ones. The spring planted ones are still going strong.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 19:29 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 20:09 »
Lifted ours today, they were rusty, and falling over... (know the feeling).

Left them to dry in the sun for a few days, and let the skins harden for the storage, but there are some decent sized bulbs, so we may get the yield we needed!

Quite a lot of fungal moisture on the bulbs, which I hope will be helped off by drying on a table...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 15:18 »
I dug one up today just to see... a decent sized bulb about 6cm in diameter. Happy with that 😀

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 15:34 »
My softneck garlic came out today - rust, some bolted and the remaining dying down and packing up for the year.  I got about 75% through with decent sized bulbs.

The rocambole hardneck garlic is still going strong from homegrown seed stock, so pleased with that  :)

ghost61

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 17:19 »
The recent strong winds flatten some of mine, so they were dug up.  Not bad, fairly happy, but wish I knew who nicked the biggest white onion.......

oldgrunge

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 20:36 »
Had no garlic crop at all last year due to extremely wet autumn. This years still seem healthy, so will be in ground for a bit yet.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

candygold1

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 20:37 »
pulled mine up last week and decent sized, also the elephant garlic doing very well  but no ready yet

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 20:57 »
Had no garlic crop at all last year due to extremely wet autumn. This years still seem healthy, so will be in ground for a bit yet.

I wondered if I should cloche them, and let the ground dry out, so letting some skins form stronger on the corms...

Too late now, as they're all laid out to dry, but they had a lot of fungal signs which may not bode well for storage.

Will wait and see anyway!

clip
Early garlic harvest?

Started by Gardener and Rabbit on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 08, 2016, 19:46
by Nobbie
xx
When to harvest second early potatoes?

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 30, 2015, 09:10
by chillimummy
xx
When to harvest my Wilja 2nd Early's

Started by mike2niner4 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 21:45
by richyrich7
xx
When to harvest early potatoes

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2015, 17:25
by JimB

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 37 queries.