Any tips for getting ripe figs?

• 4 Replies

Nobbie

Any tips for getting ripe figs?
« on: May 14, 2017, 12:29 »
On page two of this thread last year I documented my purchase of a fig cutting

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=122588.msg1447339#msg1447339

It was kept indoors over winter in a pot and dropped it's leaves when not watered regularly. Didn't really take much notice of it and planted it out a few weeks back into it's final position. It's just starting breaking buds now and when I looked more closely, I was amazed to find 5 little figs😀 (Maybe not that amazing on a fig plant, but I was surprised after only 1 year.)

Any tips for getting these to mature this year, from what I understand, they stand a good chance of developing as they have survived over winter.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Any tips for getting ripe figs?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 14:09 »
It is the tiny figs that overwinter that ripen the following year.  They should just get on with it and ripen, so lucky you  :D

If you have anything left on the plant bigger than a pea by autumn, pick them off.  The larger green figs take energy from the plant and never come to anything.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 17:15 »
Move where it's sunny !

Used to get loads in a south facing garden mid Hampshire , would get plenty here but the plot is too small for a fig tree.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 17:56 »
keep in in a small pot would be my advice.  I have one (about 12 years old now in a 14" pot) and it only gets the evening sun but I get lots of lovely figs every year.  to be honest, I neglect it and only throw some water in the pot every now and then but replace the top bit of soil occasionally and feed with tomato food when I am feeding the toms.

It is in a sheltered spot and I am in the south east.  hotter summers have brought better results.

good luck...fresh figs are devine!

jambop

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 16:20 »
The secret to ripe figs is a long hot summer. I get tons of them from my tree and to be honest most of them go to waste or rather the insects and birds eat them. Other than eating them fresh or with yoghurt and honey or perhaps making a goat cheese and fig tart I don't know what to do with them ? I am sure there are plenty of recipes though ... jam is out though!

There are never any tiny figs on my tree from the following year. The new figs come from a bud which develops in the early summer and then throughout the summer takes on that familiar fig shape. In the early spring it is impossible to see anything at all then around about mid June the fruit buds start to swell from the stems of the tree and in mid September / early October its Fig time ... they are really nice ... but you can only eat so many :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 16:42 by jambop »

question
No Ripe Figs This Year?

Started by millimole on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 31, 2018, 18:42
by Nobbie
question
Figs

Started by iggyboy60 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 20:44
by Carrotcake
xx
Figs!!!!!!

Started by Kiki on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2011, 21:11
by operabunny
xx
Anyone know anything about Figs???

Started by lina on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 22:17
by tode

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 36 queries.