Woody leek

• 13 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Woody leek
« on: November 05, 2016, 19:50 »
Just about my entire crop of Musselburg, went to seed, is woody and apart from the outer layers is totally inedible unless cooked to death.

I'm assuming that it's a combination of planting them out too early (germinated in early April and planted out mid May) and hot summer weather but I'd love to hear other opinions please?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Woody leek
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 20:00 »
I'd agree with the hot, dry weather theory  :(

Mine are the same.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 20:17 »
My crop of Musselburgh are small this year, no sign of bolting.  I'm disappointed with them, as I thought that at planting out stage they were about the best sized plants I've managed to grow so far. They just don't seem to have grown on like I'd have expected them to.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 20:24 »
I had 2 lots - 1 were Bleu de Solaise that I sowed at the beginning of February.  I usually sow later, but this was an experiment.  Anyway they languished on in the cold spring and I ended up buying a tray of leek seedlings from the garden centre in mid April (helpfully just labelled as leeks  ::)), as I thought they would come to nothing.

My own sown seed did catch up in the end and both lots went out onto the plot.  The garden centre plants have all bolted and were woody and inedible.   The Bleu de Solaise are still standing and not one has bolted.  They have not grown as big as in previous years, but they are there.  It is an old variety that maybe stands the ups and downs of the weather a little better  :unsure:

Anyway, I'm sticking with it next year and will try an early sowing again  :)

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 09:40 »
That's such a shame, Alanin! I haven't tried any of my leeks yet, but maybe I'd better check a few to see if they're going to be edible or not. This is my first year of growing veggies, so I have no prior experience with leeks.

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 11:38 »
Almost everyones leeks are the same this year, small in size and some bolting. Early sowing cannot be blamed. Mine were sowed in the open in April and planted out early in July following first early potatoes. Size is OK but I will wait a bit to start digging them in the hope of a little more growth. They have had almost no rain since planting out which I think is the problem. We tend to leave reliable leeks to just get on with it. I have started watering them.

oldgrunge

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 17:09 »
My Bleu de Solaise have nearly all bolted, were similar last year too. I put it down to the weather, but am going to try a different variety next season.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 17:21 »
I was in ASDA this morning. They had British-grown leeks that looked just great. So how do commercial growers avoid the problems that beset us, mere amateurs?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 18:30 »
If you haven't hoiked them out yet, consider leaving them in situ.  The flowers will be very architectural and, I think, wildlife friendly when they develop.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 07:53 »
I was in ASDA this morning. They had British-grown leeks that looked just great. So how do commercial growers avoid the problems that beset us, mere amateurs?

Chemicals.........and lots of them
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 08:11 »

Plenty of water.

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 18:03 »

Plenty of water.

I shoot over 2500 acres of farmland and not one of them water their leeks.
Brassicas, lettuce, sweetcorn etc get all the water

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 06:37 »
We had trouble getting them to germinate as well!

I bought three packets of seed to get to the number we usually have - about 200 - and they've eventually turned out smaller, and don't have the lushness they used to have when we had wetter weather!

No bolters so far...

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 22:49 »
That's such a shame, Alanin! I haven't tried any of my leeks yet, but maybe I'd better check a few to see if they're going to be edible or not. This is my first year of growing veggies, so I have no prior experience with leeks.

The few I've pulled have been lovely... quite small, but tender and delicious. I hope the rest will be as good.

question
Woody roots

Started by Tommosnr on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2016, 20:01
by snowdrops
xx
When do carrots go woody ?

Started by beesrus on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 03, 2014, 09:15
by Growster...
xx
Woody Fennel

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 10:20
by New shoot
xx
Woody parsnips

Started by Mrs Bee on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 26, 2015, 19:04
by pa snips

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 36 queries.