When to start sowing indoors?

• 14 Replies

Shelle

« on: January 19, 2008, 21:09 »
In eager anticipation of starting to sow, I have been wondering when to start sowing indoors.

Because of space, I am planning on starting a few seeds of each of the veg I have selected indoors, and also sowing a few seeds directly outdoors.  I thought one container with plants I sowed indoors, and a second container with the directly sowed outdoors ones as an experiment.

My question is when do I start the one indoors? A month before they are due to be planted out?  I also have a mini greenhouse (plastic 4 tier one) that I can use, and I thought I could maybe use this as an overflow.  Would it work if I sowed indoors, and then shortly before they go out in the containers outdoors, put them in the greenhouse, thus freeing up some windowsill space in the house?  I have plenty of fleece (bought absolute loads for just £3.00 last October) so can cover them easily if frost came.

In short, how much earlier than the recommended sowing date do I sow indoors, and when do I transfer out to mini greenhouse (if at all) before the great outdoors in their containers?

Sorry if it is too many questions
 :)

gobs

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 21:26 »
You will soon find out with a bit of experience that your question is really hard to answer, as there is no such thing you are talking about, 'cos 'the veg you selected' can be anything, so from there on? it's a bit of a  :? .

All of them might need different germinating, growing up, handling, etc. :)

Depends, what it is. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Shelle

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 22:24 »
ok, sorry  :oops:

I am growing the following:

Cabbage (mini)
Calabrese (mini)
Dwarf fine bean
Pea (half pint)
Carrot
Cauliflower (again mini - you've guessed the theme by now?!)
Spring onion
Radishes

Also hoping, although depends on space, to do parsnips and beetroot.

Any other info needed to help you?  I am a newbie, in my second year but have have expanded greatly so really a newbie in my first year again, so treat me gently!!

WG.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 22:42 »
I think you can concentrate on the quiz for another month or two, Shelle.  Is Cramlington high up or near the sea?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 22:55 »
Get a copy of "Vegetable and Herb Expert" by D.G. Hessayon.  It has all the information of when and how to plant everything in there.  No veg gardener should be without one.

WG.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 22:57 »
Try here Shelle http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden_month.php

This mainly covers outdoor planting but you can work backwards to figure indoor planting times.   You do want to AVOID having hundreds of seedlings needing to go out when it is still too cold.

clive f

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 23:29 »
Shelle i will be starting my cabbage,cauliflower,calabrese of indoors end february. This is how i start all my indoor sowings  fill plant pot  with compost sow few seeds eg cabbage cover lightly with more compost water with fine rose on watering can cover with small plastic bag (eg sandwich bag) put on indoor window sill untill seeds have germinated as soon as the first few has popped through remove plastic bag and put the pot of seedlings out into the mini greenhouse when they are about 1 inch high prick them out into modules putting the seed leaf just above the compost and grow on in the mini greenhouse, if frost is forecast cover with fleece but if we get a clear day with sun out roll door up it's surprising how hot it can get under plastic with the sun on it even in winter, plant out when about 6 inch high.

gobs

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 07:55 »
You can give a start to spring onions in a cool window sill. A lot of people do very early peas, but I don't know your variety.

The seed packets also should give you some info and you could visit Wisy Forum, which has started to fill out nicely. :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 08:13 »
Shelle - I'm not knocking your enthusiasm, but please don't be over eager to get things started.

Just been looking back on postings from early last year, where 'it's all ended in tears' (not literally), where folk had tried to sow way too early.

Better late than too early, I've used this quote before & make no apologies for using it again, it's from my Grandfather who was a gardener by profession and he would often say to me....

"Don't worry, things'll soon catch up, boy".
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Carol

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 09:17 »
I did calabrese indoors in october, and they grew into lovely strong plants, now in the cold frame waiting to go out in March.  I tried Cauliflower All Year Round, sown Early December (it said you could on the packet).  They germinated well, lovely stout seedlings, got to the two true leaf stage, the seed leaves went brown and the seedlings now look as if they are about to croak.  I'm not getting rid yet, just in case a miracle happens.  They have been kept in a frost-free conservatory, watered regularly, all the other plants in there are healthy.  I think you have to get them to a certain size before the light levels drop too low and the day too short.  With this in mind I'm not going to try too much else until end feb, early march.
Good luck with yours!
Carol - aiming for organicness.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 11:02 »
I always get very impatient at this time of year, particularly when my rhubarb is growing well  :) , the currents are beginning to bud, and the birds are starting their dawn chorus.

I've learnt the hard way, year after year, not to start things too early, but still usually get caught out. You know the feeling, a week of sunshine (well it does occasionally happen) and its all systems go :roll:.

I will have to be content with planning, and digging a friends garden to use this year as well.

Roll on spring proper.

Nikki
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Shelle

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 11:31 »
Thank you all, I know I am panicking a bit!!!  Its just I am trying to plan what space I have (as I live at home at parents still so space is very limited as they will not let me have windowsills in main rooms, so I only have the use of 3 rooms).

BUT I know I can rely on all of you to keep me calm  :lol:

WG, Cramlington is inland but only just, we are about 4 or 5 miles from the sea, so we get a lot of wind and salt in the air, which is handy for the snow!

Anyway, I shall forget about it now for a few more weeks, and concentrate on the quiz tonight - good advice WG  :lol:  :lol:

Rob the rake

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 11:41 »
Quote from: "Shelle"

You're kidding, aren't you? We're all champing at the bit! :D
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

splodger

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 11:46 »
Quote from: "Shelle"
Thank you all, I know I am panicking a bit!!!  Its just I am trying to plan what space I have (as I live at home at parents still so space is very limited as they will not let me have windowsills in main rooms, so I only have the use of 3 rooms).

WG, Cramlington is inland but only just, we are about 4 or 5 miles from the sea, so we get a lot of wind and salt in the air, which is handy for the snow!

Anyway, I shall forget about it now for a few more weeks, and concentrate on the quiz tonight - good advice WG  :lol:  :lol:

just a tip - for when you get sowing. As i only have one apt window for seedlings - i put open backed shelves on my window ledge - to maximise space - it looks a bit odd - but i don't really care about that - and as soon as the seedlings get too big - they get hardened off in mini gh or cold frame  :wink:

mushroom

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 16:24 »
I've started off my chili seedlings in an electric propogator. They want a long growing season at these latitudes. They need a lot of warmth to get them going, but lower temps (16-20C) are ok once the plant is 3-4 inches tall.

I started off 5 F1 Joe's Long chilis back in late August/September, outside when it was warm. 2 died due to heavy rain, one died indoors because i think i overwatered it when I was trying to get them to hibernate indoors  :oops:

So i now have 2x chili plants each about 6 inches tall, in a state of slow growth/hibernation, in dryish soil, in 9 inch pots. I think they will need to wait until at least March to go outside.

good luck!  :wink:

xx
Tips for sowing indoors

Started by Kim Taaffe on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 22:20
by Kim Taaffe
xx
Question about brassicas and sowing indoors

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 10:51
by LilacSandy
xx
Sowing Indoors on Window sill - Advice.

Started by UrbanG on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 13:48
by noshed
xx
What can I start off growing indoors now?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 17:54
by garddwr

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 35 queries.