Supports for brassica netting?

• 8 Replies

Running bean

Supports for brassica netting?
« on: July 13, 2015, 12:48 »
Can anyone recommend something cheap to use as arched supports for netting to protect brassicas from birds. I see that flexible plastic piping seems to be used often.  But wondered what type is best and where obtained from? Thank you

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
Re: Supports for brassica netting?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 13:29 »
Does it need to be arched? I use old pea canes with plastic bottles over the ends to stop the net sliding down the pole. A freebie!   ::)
Carpe Diem

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 21:20 »
I have blue tubing which I think is water pipe. I bought it a while back from a DIY/BUILDERS merchant. Depends on where you live but wickes or B&Q should have something suitable. I make netting tunnels by supporting the tubing with bamboo simply lashed together with computer plastic ties or string.

Good luck HH
Keep digging

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 21:35 »
I bought debris netting and used bamboo canes to build my brassica cage 6ft high so I could go inside without messing about moving nets.

Lasted the summer, but had to take it down in the winter because of the winds in Lincolnshire.
brassica cage 2.jpg

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 21:38 »
Very nice Grannie.  It's good to have one you can stand up in.  That's what we do too.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 22:21 »
Buy cheap buy twice as the saying goes. Netting is now a permanent feature of all allotments, so I have gone down the path of 'doing it properly'
For small brassicas I use bike wheels. Get the full size, cut them in half, (Keep the spokes-they make good pegs for strawberry runners) , Tape lash 4 bamboo canes (longer the better) to the half rims and secure a net over the whole structure. They will stack on top of each other over winter.
For bigger plants I use blue water pipe and bamboos to secure the frame and cover with suitable net which is pegged down. This can be easily dismantled.
I have made a frame out of wash basin pipe using the corner pieces and tee connections. Fix with tape so that it can be dismantled. Again cover with net. Fix with the clips that are used to fix the pipes to the wall. The uses/shapes of this system are endless. you could make a walk in tent frame, and it would last you for years.

Running bean

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 00:06 »
Thanks very much for the tips and advice. I'd better get to work then  :)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 09:51 »
You may be able to get bits and pieces of the blue water pipe for free if you ask around the contractors on a building site/housing estate under construction.
Rachael

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 10:02 »
In the past I have used bamboo canes stuck into the ground at intervals then for the horizontal bit, I've used lengths of old garden hose with a cane shoved up the middle, then I put each end of the hose down over the top of the vertical canes. Depending on the width of the bed, you can just use the horizontal hose without the inserted can but it can droop in the middle in warm weather.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
brassica netting

Started by loobs61 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 25, 2015, 12:06
by loobs61
xx
Netting over my brassica bed

Started by senrab_nhoj on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 16:15
by DD.
xx
brassica netting

Started by mig55 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 20:54
by Christo
xx
netting for brassica's

Started by Lulu on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 17:17
by yummy

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 33 queries.