Quite a lot of Tomorite...

• 37 Replies

jambop

Re: Quite a lot of Tomorite...
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2015, 17:24 »
While I do not want to disagree with anything that has been said re shop bought or home grown. I can assure anybody however that the tomatoes I grow here in my garden are better... no not better...  MUCH BETTER than anything you can buy from Tesco or any other super market for that matter THERE IS NO COMPARISON! When you have tasted a nice  five inch diameter beef tomato made into a nice Caprese salad or made a nice sauce with some freshly picked San Marzano or made a salad with some nice cherry  Roma you will know... but I think I would just be echoing most growers on here :)

ps they only grow a couple of metres high though ! and also Marmande are one o the very best tomatoes to grow outside in a sunny warm climate!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 17:29 by jambop »

LotuSeed

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2015, 19:11 »
Isn't comparing growing small scale/personal use to growing for market/commercial use kind of comparing apples to oranges though? I don't have to have or expect to have tomatoes that are perfect looking. They can be prone to cracking and or thin skinned because they're aren't getting shipped (anywhere except from the plant to my mouth!) At home I have the luxury of growing based primarily on flavor. Market gardens and commericial farms have different priorities to consider. They will likely be looking for a variety that produces uniform fruit, that can handle the rigors of shipping and that produce generously. There's also a huge difference in the time between harvest and consumption. Apples and oranges. 🍎🍊
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

jambop

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2015, 19:43 »
That is the difference between then and now! Back in the day people did not expect to buy tomatoes in the winter time and to be totally honest winter bought tomatoes are total CXXX and not worth buying. People now expect to buy vegs and fruit that are not in season that is wrong and totally screws up the environment... flying pineapples halfway round the world make sense only as a return trip. Unfortunately its the world we live in... and are trying to destroy!

Headgardener22

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2015, 21:31 »
I know its getting well off topic but...

I would rather have shop bought tomatoes to supplement my seasonal produce than no tomatoes at all (I don't want to live on swede through the winter). I'm impressed by the commercial growers mainly by their ability to produce tomatoes all year round in a climate that struggles to produce many if you grow them outdoors).

Have you seen the articles about growing tomatoes in Iceland?

bravemurphy

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2015, 22:20 »
Thanks for that , very interesting.

Growster...

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2015, 22:29 »
While I do not want to disagree with anything that has been said re shop bought or home grown. I can assure anybody however that the tomatoes I grow here in my garden are better... no not better...  MUCH BETTER than anything you can buy from Tesco or any other super market for that matter THERE IS NO COMPARISON! When you have tasted a nice  five inch diameter beef tomato made into a nice Caprese salad or made a nice sauce with some freshly picked San Marzano or made a salad with some nice cherry  Roma you will know... but I think I would just be echoing most growers on here :)

ps they only grow a couple of metres high though ! and also Marmande are one o the very best tomatoes to grow outside in a sunny warm climate!

Thanks, Jambop, it's because Marmande are a well-known tom in France, that I thought on the lines of 'Well, if they can grow them commercially, and sell 'em well, they must be a good bet'!

Ours are in a good poopy bed, and will be gazed at for weeks to come, that is until we get to about four trusses, when I expect that the English weather will prohibit further growth.

Interesting variety, Marmande!

jambop

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2015, 08:57 »
Growster the Marmande tomato is a lovely sweet tomato and can be used in salad, cooked or juiced. I think where it fails for the modern consumer is that the shape is or can be very irregular ... not a problem for those who seek flavour first and aspect a distant second. I you get a good warm sunny summer as we do down here in SW France you are rewarded with a wonderful large ribbed sweet tomato... and you can save the seed for the next year!

edit
 be ready to offer some support to those trusses they can be very big!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 08:59 by jambop »

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2015, 09:44 »
Jampop you are making me nostalgic for my holidays with our kids near Perpignan in the 1980s.
Unfortunately our summers are not uniformly warm let alone hot some poor souls had a frost last week.
Marmande is a great tomato but we have to muddle along with whatever we can persuade to grow here in England before the frosts arrive again. I am growing RHS recommended Sweet Million which I am assured is a heavy cropping cherry .......fingers and toes crossed this will come true.😊😊

Enjoy the sun & wine & Marmande toms I am only a teeny bit envious 😉😉😉

Cheers HH
Keep digging

xx
Tomorite et al.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 27, 2022, 11:29
by Grubbypaws
xx
tomorite

Started by pwgun on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 06, 2007, 14:58
by shaun
xx
Tomorite - beans and courgettes too??

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 15:42
by Jay Dubya
xx
Tomato feed/Tomorite

Started by victoria_plum on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 01:34
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 31 queries.