Forking Carrots !!!!

• 7 Replies

keeper

• Trevorl
Forking Carrots !!!!
« on: July 16, 2014, 15:25 »
I have not posted for a while , but took over a new garden and spent last year clearing bramble patches and long grass to discover an orchard, and what I was told by local people a large veg. plot. We cleared the briars and scrub and I repeatedly sprayed the veg. area with Glyphosate, about 5 times , between April 2013 and March this year to get back to a stale seed-bed.
We have had marvellous results with most things and I was careful to sow the roots in an area without muck, but they are still forking badly, I can only imagine that this is, as the plot has stood fallow for a lot of years, that the successive rotting down of nettles and such has enriched the soil.
I wonder if anyone else can confirm this or give me another reason?

(keeper) Trevor 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Forking Carrots !!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 15:35 »
Stony soil, a hard pan or heavy clay are more likely  ;)

Anything that gets in the way of the roots going straight down. Have to grow them in buckets of compost and sand, here.

beesrus

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 19:13 »
Carrots don't need a lot of rich soil, just a clear route downward, just like parsnip. Sounds like the rest of the ground has been productive. It takes a season or two to get to know your soil and take appropriate measures for individual crops. My carrots are up and running these days, but I've had to cultivate mamby pamby areas for them, in a stone free sense.....they love the greenhouse borders best of all. I wouldn't dream of planting them in certain areas on my plot.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 22:07 »
What's the general soil like, keeper?  Some areas round York are quite sandy or free-draining because of the flooding action either historically or recently.  However, as others have said, some areas are more stony or clay-ey because of glacial action in the last Ice Age.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

keeper

• Trevorl
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 09:50 »
Thanks for the replies, as you say Mum clay soil or stony but neither is a problem round here that is why I was a little perplexed about the problem.

Yorkie I live near the Derwent ings, or just about in them!,and as I am sure you will know, the soil is ideal for roots. I am having a really good year with everything else and as beesrus says it takes a year or two to get to know your ground and I am quite pleased with results to date, although like most round here, have suffered from blight. I have had to top my 'taties  and leave them in the ground, but as they are second earlies I hope I have caught them in time.
I must admit I hope have judged too early as I came back from visiting family in Essex, went through to check the garden and pulled a couple of carrots and found them all stumpy and forked, then came back and asked the question on the forum, but had my usual walk round at about 8-30-9ish last night and pulled a couple more and they were a little distorted but not forked.
I lived before in Holderness which was mainly clay and have found, round here  on this light land, it is so much different, over there I could really only grow carrots in raised beds.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Trevor   

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 12:06 »
Although a new seedling in the patch a elderly gardener gave me a good idea for carrots, using old glass recycling boxes from the council and filling them with spent compost from hanging baskets etc.  I also use potato bags, water once a week if it is dry, know I should not say the next part but no forking or carrot fly problems...so far.
:D I garden therefore I am

MalcW

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 08:41 »
I felt really smug when I first read this thread, as my carrots were OK - 2 or 3 had split, but in general they were pretty good for a first attempt.
Then yesterday evening I pulled a few more. Some were good, but some were definitely well and truly forked. With one in particular, even the forks were forked - stick tiny bells on the end and it would look like a jesters hat.
So I don't feel smug any more.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 13:06 »
Could it be the root divided because there were uneven areas of nutrients close by and they went for the best bits?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
First carrots!

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2007, 17:54
by Charlie Orken
clip
Carrots

Started by Stortgrower on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 22:52
by mumofstig
xx
Carrots

Started by greetwellboy on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post January 02, 2012, 20:24
by gobs

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 34 queries.