Ripening Melons

• 6 Replies

LilacSandy

Ripening Melons
« on: November 21, 2013, 07:49 »
Am I trying to hatch a pot egg by trying to ripen my Melons in the fruit bowl?

I have two lovely big Melons that have been in the fruit bowl since I brought them in from the blowaway greenhouse.  Will they eventually ripen, and am I keeping them in the best place?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Ripening Melons
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 08:53 »
Don't really know - shop-bought melons ripen further in the warm, but they could be like tomatoes in that they need to have reached a certain stage of maturity before they will ripen off the plant.

You've nothing to lose by trying, although if they've already been sat there for a few weeks without ripening I wouldn't feel that confident myself.  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

NickoV

• Location: East coast of Lincolnshire, a mile from the sea, on a marsh, heavy clay.
    • Marshland Permaculture Interest Group
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 11:04 »
Whenever I have tried this, the melons soften but do not sweeten. So we end up with something more like the taste of a cucumber than a melon. Still edible though.

Nick
These are just my opinions based on what I have read, the filters my brain uses as a product of my upbringing, and the experiences I have had growing food. I am not intending to convince anyone I am right, just supply my opinion when it is asked for. I am also open to changing my opinions! Nick

LilacSandy

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 12:17 »
Thanks for the replies.  I will leave them in the bowl and see what happens, shame as they are really big and the ripe one I had earlier was lovely.

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 13:34 »
I don't know if melons ripen on exposure to ethylene, but you could try putting them in a brown paper bag along with a couple of ripe apples or bananas as an experiment :)

3759allen

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 13:30 »
what type of melons are they?

i tried to ripen cantaloupe and honey due. cantaloupe did rippen to a usable state, honey due didn't at all.

let us know you're method and results for next year.

LilacSandy

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 16:02 »
I have one round 'Bardot' and a Water Melon   'Valentina' one the size of a football and the other a rugby ball, both are looking very green and healthy and I think the Valentina may be giving slightly but I will wait until I am sure.  No smell from either of them.

xx
ripening melons, dead vines!

Started by Hortic on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2021, 14:33
by JayG
xx
sweetcorn not ripening

Started by alan/gill on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 29, 2015, 15:11
by New shoot
xx
My toms not ripening.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 31, 2022, 15:38
by missmoneypenny
xx
Ripening sweetcorn?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 04, 2011, 19:39
by DD.

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 36 queries.