Very curly toms.

• 8 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

Very curly toms.
« on: June 02, 2013, 20:29 »
I've often seen toms with curling individual leaves and not considered it a problem, but this year I'm getting something different. Whole "branches" of leaves are coiling up really tight like a coiled spring, but the leaves themselves aren't curling. Any clues?

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: Very curly toms.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 20:40 »
Picture?

Most things seem to be due to the weather or attack by insects.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 20:44 »
It's usually caused by hot days followed by cold nights - unless you've used manure, when it could be something more sinister  :(

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 09:24 »
Unusually for me, I haven't used any manure on the toms this year. Must be the weather. I've noticed thi morning that some of my spuds have their leaves turned totally upside down, exposing the underside to the sun. Stwaynge fings 'appenink.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 16:31 »
Mine are a bit curly at the moment, bit its because himindoors usually opens the polytunnel door for me when he goes out to open the chicken house.

We had to go out early so I didn't notice until we got back at lunchtime that he hadn't done it this morning!  >:(

They are looking decidedly crinkled!  I watered them  a bit, but will do it again when it cools down more!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 17:32 »
I had one plant like that last year, was in a row of 6 plants in my tunnel bed. All the others were strong and healthy, but that one plant was stunted and small and all the branches were tightly curled. I've no idea what caused it, but I watched it for a week, saw no improvement and ripped it out to be on the safe side. I doubt it was touched by chemicals or anything like that, because I don't really use anything other than tomato feeds and organic fertilisers like BFB and chicken pellets. If it was disease or weather or pest of some kind, it's hard to understand why it was just one plant in the row. It was the plant closest to the door, but that's the only thing I could think of that would have made that one plant more vulnerable.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 09:25 »
I think it's just the heat. I had a good look at them yesterday afternoon and they were curled up tight (tigrella in particular). This morning, after the cool of the night they were quite unfurled. Another hot one today and they will no doubt curl again. BTW, it's only the newest leaf fronds which are affected, the larger, lower ones are ok. I shall also try to get the humidity up a bit.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 10:26 »
oooh, this post is good timing - I was in the greenhouse yesterday inspecting the toms and found the new leaves coming through in a sort of strange spikey tight coil and wondered what it could be.  The toms have been in the greenhouse for several weeks (and endured lots of cold nights) so I did wonder if it was due to the extra warmth.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 21:38 »
Reckon so Babs. Mine are curled up tighter than a very tight curly thing again. Lovely and healthy though. All varieties are affected, so it has to boil down to a common denominator.

xx
curly leaves

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 12:34
by lmpd
xx
Is this curly top virus?

Started by merky587 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 07:10
by merky587
xx
curly Kale

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 31, 2009, 23:02
by penance
xx
Curly kale help

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 22:02
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 38 queries.