Harvesting Asparagus

• 3 Replies

MoreWhisky

Harvesting Asparagus
« on: May 19, 2013, 11:52 »
HI

My asparagus is now 4yr old and doing really well, just wish i made the bed bigger. Anyway my question is until i stop taking the asparagus can i take EVERY spear?

Cheers MW.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Harvesting Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 12:14 »
I think it's best to ignore the rules based on the calendar, because the weather isn't taking much notice of it these days.

Make a judgement based on how vigorously they are producing new spears, as you don't want to find you've picked the last one it's got the strength to produce this year!  :ohmy:

I would suggest that 6 weeks picking is a safe maximum unless cold weather has really slowed them down in which case you could go to 8, but stop by the longest day in any event.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 14:50 »
Pick every one until you decide to stop. Traditional stop time is, as JayG says, the longest day, 21st June. As they started late, if the production is robust, I shall continue until the end of June this time.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 16:33 »
At 4 years you can be greedy with picking, but do stop by July 1st as the plants must renew their strength with green growth that comes up later. We've always followed this basic rule and our plants produce well.

xx
harvesting asparagus?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 20:24
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Have people stopped harvesting asparagus yet?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2021, 07:07
by Blewit
xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 36 queries.