In your garden

• 21 Replies

Yana

Re: In your garden
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 17:30 »
When we moved in to current house in 1996 the back garden had three plum trees in the lawn, 25 leylandii trees over 30 feet tall acting as a fence and a smattering of perennials in a border. The leylandii were taken out in the first summer and that gave us another 6 feet of garden!! The plum trees were badly diseased so they came out and the perennials were replaced with strawberries, fruit bushes and rhubarb with peas growing up the fence.

Fast forward 17 years ......

Two greenhouses for tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and aubergines, OH's shed, three large raised planters for salad leaves, lettuce, carrots and spring onions, long border with 6 feet high fence where leylandii used to be that has a few currant bushes, two cherry trees, a thornless blackberry, and grow peas up the fence (never any good at growing peas at the lottie) and in front of this are my OH's precious collection of Acers that he lovingly looks after (no interest in veg at all).
New fence up so revamping border on other side of the garden to be a perennial border of shrubs and flowers to have colour and attract bees and butterflies.
Have bought wooden greenhouse/shed combo to go up the top of the garden (by the greenhouses) so I have my own shed and can grow more of my own flowers for the front and back garden border.
The main veggies are grown at the lottie, and I am trying to make the garden more 'flowery' if that makes sense as the garden is a dog leg shape so you can't see the greenhouses/sheds or planters from the back of the house.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 18:48 »
My back garden isn't massive and I do love growing flowers (although I do grow edible ones like nasturniums) and we have a bit of lawn that shrinks a little more each year!!
If Ben had his way...    no lawn at all!! :lol:

My green house is in the garden as I need to be able to get to it every day. I also grow veggys/herbs in post on out patio and stone bit near the house - the house wall stays super warm right into the night in the summer so outdoor veg like Cukes will thrive there.

I have an allotment just 10mins walk from my house (25mins back as all uphill! :D) which is 120square metres big - or 5 square rods - doesn't seem big enough this year!!
I have a fruit patch here with raspberries, a blueberry bed and a dwarf Victoria plum tree.
Plus now we have the chooks on the lpot just below mine.

I'd love to have land big enough (and in Italy! ::) ) for an olive grove, vineyard, vegetables beds, an orchard and a few fleurs but I can keep dreaming and playing the lottery can't I! :lol:

Trillium

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 20:32 »
I have a bit more land than some here, but not that much more. The front yard is all flowers, but since it's the only full sun space and I need more growing areas, I'll start putting some fruit and veg plants among the flowers. The backyard is 2/3 veg, fruit bushes and trees and some of the flowers will be coming out of their area and getting binned so I can have room for more veg among them. And a huge new herb bed somewhere.

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 20:59 »
My garden at home is mostly flowers, but.... my salad bed, herb bed, pots of strawberries & blueberries live there too.  Its where my green house is and my shed so veg is started along side bedding flowers.  I love sitting in my garden in the summer and have a lawn for that.  We have a pear tree but the pears are horrid and make good compost!!
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

Beetroot queen

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 21:07 »
My garden at home is mostly flowers, but.... my salad bed, herb bed, pots of strawberries & blueberries live there too.  Its where my green house is and my shed so veg is started along side bedding flowers.  I love sitting in my garden in the summer and have a lawn for that.  We have a pear tree but the pears are horrid and make good compost!!

We have an apple tree that produces horrid apples too. Any room in your compost bin

grendel

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 21:23 »
our front garden is abot 20 ft x10ft, that has the wheelie bins and a few flowers one side of the path, the other side we have 2 potato planters, 4 rhubarb crowns a gooseberry and a plum tree.
the back garden is 20 ft x 15 ft by the time sheds and conservatory have been accounted for. here we have an apple tree, blackberries raspberries and blueberries, as wellwe have some small plastic greenhouses for propagating and will grow a few things in tubs, along the fence shelf we have strawberries this year.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

seaside

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 22:21 »
Present terraced town house has a high walled 20ft x 60ft rear garden with a couple of small ponds dominated by the house cat. Due to aspect, 4 or 5 trees, and the slug army, the garden is now encouraged to grow what comes naturally to it .... bluebells, wild blue duraniums, tall daisies, lilies, foxgloves, and bamboo that is harvested for use on the allotment. Introduced box, camellia, hydrangea etc grow reasonably, but, barring herbs, almost all evidence of edible life such as raspberry canes, currants and grapevines have been all but moved to the allotment
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 22:27 by seaside »

xx
New garden

Started by lfcevans on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2019, 14:12
by neilbdavies684
xx
what are you doing in the garden now??

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post January 07, 2010, 09:27
by Bobby
xx
Garden Mag

Started by Stevens706 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 06:07
by Stevens706
xx
Does anybody want to use my garden?

Started by Amy** on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 18, 2012, 21:42
by Salmo

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 33 queries.