In your garden

• 21 Replies

Beetroot queen

In your garden
« on: April 23, 2013, 20:20 »
Do you grow flowers or veg, we are very much in the mindset of " if you can't eat it, we don't grow it"

In our garden (which is very small) we have one brambly apple, one greengage tree, one Katy apple ( that's for the chop if it doesn't pull it apples up to standard) one nectarine tree. Two kiwi's, one grape (looks like we may have lost this over winter) one cordon pear, one (think it's plum) it was reduced in lidl.  And two thornless blackberry growing over the shed. It's a bit of a squeeze but everything seems happy. Oh and four blackcurrants bushes and some strawberries under the trees.

It is a tiny garden but we like cozy.

I the front, also cost we have 39 aloes growing as a hedge and two rhubarb plants. Lol only thing we can't eat is the grass and shed.

Are you a flower person at home or does the veg idea continue.  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: In your garden
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 20:25 »
In a 30ft x 40ft garden, in which I have a 9ft x 12ft veg bed and  2 greenhouses. The rest is lawn and flowers though. I couldn't be without my flowers especially the roses  :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 20:30 »
Why does my iPad change some words, and does anyone know if you can stop it, it drives me potty.  :wacko:

It's doesn't like some normal words.

Buddleja

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 20:36 »
Our garden has some fruit bushes, a raised bed for growing salad, a small herb bed, a rubarb plant and lots of flowers. Daffodils out atthe moment and it's nearly the end of april!  :tongue2:

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 20:55 »
My garden is 24' ish (wide I think) by 200' its the main reason we brought the house, its a south too!  at the back 60' or so I grow my veg .... the rest is made up of a lawn for the girls and their toys a lawn for me and developing flower beds on one side and on the other is a seating area and a woodfire oven ..... I love the spring and summer months we are never indoors :)

So in anwser to your question veg, fruit and flowers ... with a tramopline and wendy house thrown in!!
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 20:59 »
Pretty much the same here BQ.  :)
My back garden is about 30ft square but I have a small greenhouse and three raised beds.  So far I've managed to pack in apple, nectarine, cherry (x2) and apricot trees (on the deck), blueberries (x4) - all in pots; 20 raspberries & 2 thornless blackberries (along fence), strawberries (pots) and various veggies in the beds.  Front garden is NE facing so I have 3 gooseberries, 3 rhubarb and a crab apple tree. 
I try to make as much of any space as possible so my fences/trellis are used for tall peas, runner & french beans & climbing squash etc.  ::)
Amazing what you can grow in a small space!  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Sweetpea C

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 21:51 »
In a 30ft x 40ft garden, in which I have a 9ft x 12ft veg bed and  2 greenhouses. The rest is lawn and flowers though. I couldn't be without my flowers especially the roses  :)

I save so much money growing my own cut flowers, and the garden looks so beautiful with them in that I grow far too many to fit so enjoy gifting them as presents.  I'm now moving onto veg.... fingers crossed that something will grow that the family can eat, despite what I have done to it!!!
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 21:59 »
lots of herbs and edible flowers a few nonedibles ie daffs and bluebells but not many. Raspberrys and gooseberrys along the fence tubs with cherry toms and begonias also salad crop. South wall with fan greengage and cherry, north wall with red and white currant.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 22:12 »
I gave up growing vegetables when the tree roots climbed up into the raised beds I had built.

Regardless, I still have apple trees, cherry trees, nectarine, tayberry, fig, grapevine, blueberries, herb garden and strawberries growing.  I also have a 20 foot high bay tree!
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Christine

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 07:57 »
Only have an allotment so no lawns. A few flowers for bees - phacelia, borage, inherited primulas, dandelions which seem to appear no matter what and herbs. There's a few wallflowers this year as the packet came free with something. But it's mostly edible stuff.

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 09:16 »
Definately more veg than flowers, but since taking on a half plot I'm slowly relinquishing bits of the garden to flowers. In fact, this year, I'm growing more flowers than ever before and trying to create a perennial cut flower bed at the baottom of the garden.

Saying that, I have just got rid of the chickens and created a huge veg patch where they were, but I did put a few pansies in as well. :D

Garden's about 60ft x 60ft, with three sheds, a greenhouse and a small home made polytunnel. I would say abour a third is lawn, the rest veg beds and paths with a couple of spots for flowers and the soon to be perennial bed.

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 10:36 »
Mostly fruit trees, berry bushes, and herbs all in pots in my garden.  I did create a couple small areas for poppies, marigolds and poached egg plants to encourage some wildlife but didn't put a lot of effort into them.  Also leave some areas so the weeds can thrive in the hope all the nettles lure some ladybirds to the area.
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

alotty

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 11:26 »
It's all about the flowers for me at home.  i love sitting out there and seeing all the colours and taking in the smells :-)
We do keep the tomatoes and peppers at home and some french beans for easy access but all other veggies go to the allotment.

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 14:43 »
I only have my garden in which to grow veg. At about 35' sqaure, it's not a big space, but needs to be shared out between lawn, children's play-things (trampoline and swing), the children's play-house, a small patio with a bench, and a decking area for our BBQ and outdoor dining table.... and squeezed in wherever I can is my "plot".

So, the plot is made of a 4'x4' raised strawberry bed (middle of the lawn!), a 4'x4' herb garden, with a row of raspberries at the back, two apple trees that I am training along one fence, a small (6'x2') lean-to greenhouse and an even smaller (4' high) coldframe, plus lots of pots. I end up with hanging baskets of chillis and tomatoes, long pots of radishes and salad leaves, empty compost bags for potatoes, larger pots against the south-facing wall for tomatoes, more large pots for peas and beans, cucumbers in the greenhouse, peppers in the coldframe, and thubarb squeezed in behind the girls' playhouse!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 15:01 »
I only have my garden in which to grow

Same here, there is about a 600 sq m area for veg plot, polytunnel, potting shed, herb/flower bed and a new flower and shrub bed this year, lawn for the dog, a couple of seating areas - we too spend as much time outdoors in the summer months as possible. We still grow edible things in containers too. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

xx
Does anybody want to use my garden?

Started by Amy** on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 18, 2012, 21:42
by Salmo
xx
THE GARDEN HAS GONE MAD!!

Started by wyandotty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 22:24
by 2peasinapod
xx
My Garden

Started by Hoggamadogg on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 08:30
by Brassica Blaz
xx
best day ever in the garden

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 28, 2008, 15:13
by Bombers

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 35 queries.