Cheap 'n' functional bird deterrents.

• 10 Replies

JaneF

• Where there's muck there's veg.
Cheap 'n' functional bird deterrents.
« on: February 24, 2013, 18:58 »
I know newly planted shallot sets are at the mercy of the birds. Save going down the netting route etc in order to keep the expense down, is anyone able to suggest any tried and tested, cheap and cheerful bird scarers please?

I have put a couple of empty 1.5 water bottles upside down on canes and have a stash of old CD's to use too, not that I'm intending to play music to the little luvvies but string them up. That's the CD's..!

Thanks all.
Jane F.

RichardA

Re: Cheap 'n' functional bird deterrents.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 19:07 »
I have tried most things and other than netting and next door's cat walking through nothing deters the birds - I have big nets for herons, middle nets for pigeons and smaller nets for the rest
Sorry I really cannot suggest anything else.
R

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 19:13 »
Having spotted sparrows admiring their reflections in a CD I don't think they work, although actually playing a Barry Manilow CD would certainly scare me off!

Bird problems do vary from one location to another, but I've only ever had to replant a few displaced shallots as long as most of the wispy top is trimmed off before planting (don't overdo it) and they are planted so only the very top is sticking out of the ground.

Blueberries are an altogether different proposition (think KILLER blackbirds!)  :ohmy:  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Slowcoach

Re: Re: Cheap 'n' functional bird deterrents.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 19:19 »
Try tying about 4ft of warning tape to 8ft canes, this works well as long as there is a slight breeze. ;D

simonwatson

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 09:47 »
I've seen ones made out of old plastic drinks bottles. Very effective in terms of how little breeze is needed to make them move. I don't know about scaring the birds though!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 09:52 »
I've tried most things.

Only a physical barrier works for me!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Pilko

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 10:23 »
I've watched pigeons feasting directly beneath CD's and kiddies windmills but found a plastic bottle bouncing about on a length of coat hanger wire works well. Think of a game of hangman, the top part of the gibbet parallel to the ground is the wire and the man is the plastic bottle. Support the wire on a stick and use string to alter the height and swing of the bottle. 

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 12:24 »
I never seem to get much problems with birds even though I'm in the middle of nowhere with lots of birds about, esp woodies.
My problems all come from the furry-purry creatures.  >:(

hamsterhead

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 12:29 »
I've seen ones made out of old plastic drinks bottles. Very effective in terms of how little breeze is needed to make them move. I don't know about scaring the birds though!!
I must get some as I didn't know that birds and other furry things could read the warnings :-)
Built for comfort, not speed!

JaneF

• Where there's muck there's veg.
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 19:07 »
Thanks for all the suggestions.

JayG Val Doonican would do it for me but I have to consider my neighbours. Sparrows displaying budgie related behaviour, I must not put out any kuttle fish...

Try tying about 4ft of warning tape to 8ft canes, this works well as long as there is a slight breeze. ;D
is that to warn the birds to watch out for humans..? ;-)

A Reyt Tayty I think my pussies play with then extracted shallots as they seem to be well away from their hole :-0

Bottle hangman, now there's a thought..

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 19:54 »
There is no such thing as cheap  ,buy a roll of 1/2ins wire netting ,you can bend it to make a tunnel and when your shallots are well rooted you can use it for something different (pea support, cover cabbage seedlings  etc.)
bazial

xx
Cheap Bird scarers...

Started by Sideshoot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 19:17
by oldcow
xx
Pigeon deterrents

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

60 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 17:34
by DOBBO
xx
Chicken deterrents

Started by ferreter51 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 07:08
by ferreter51
xx
Seeds on Ebay shop - cheap cheap for good quality ...

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 28, 2011, 20:55
by radiohead

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 36 queries.