Apple juice anyone

• 16 Replies

Spana

Apple juice anyone
« on: September 01, 2011, 16:38 »
We have a really big crop of apples this year so I've been juicing. :)

Its amazing how many litres of apple juice you get through when you dont have to pay £2+ for it. :happy:

These are the ones we have tried so  far, left to right

Anniversary,       Laxton,       Devonshire Quarrenden,       Bramley       and variety unknown

They are all very nice but the best by far is the unknown variety, its the best apple juice i have ever tasted.  :happy:
 The one i like the least is Anniversary and the Laxton is very sweet but is lovely blended with the Bramley :happy:

I know, i'm a sad person, but my grandchildren have gone home after being here for nearly 6weeks and i feel very much at a loose end ;)  :D

Anyone got any nice juicing recipes i can try :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Apple juice anyone
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 16:51 »
Will those keep as juice for any length of time Spana, or would you have to freeze the juice? Or make cider!  :D I know you mentioned elsewhere that one of the apple varieties needs used quickly as they don't keep as apples.  :(
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Spana

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 17:19 »
The longest I've kept it is 2days in the fridge and it was still ok.  I think if it was going to be bottled it would have to be pasteurized but at the minute we seem to drink it as fast as i make it.  Its wonderful freshly made with just picked fruit. :happy:
I'm thinking of freezing  some in disposable cups stood close together in a plastic container with a lid just to see how it works .

I've tried tomato which was ok but the grandchildren wouldn't drink it and runner bean- its amazing how much juice there is in a runner bean - but the least said about that one the better, foul doesn't come close :D

I'm trying blackberry and apple tomorrow  :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 18:39 »
It all sounds good - apart from the runner bean flavour!  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 18:43 »
Those juices look glorious  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 21:03 »
The juices are absolutely wonderful to look at, I wondered how you got the different colours and then saw the variety in the apples.

Fab.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 21:17 »
What a superb photograph!
I'll be juicing some Bramleys tomorrow.
Mike

Spana

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 21:36 »
!
Mike

They do look nice dont they :happy: I dont know if they put anything in the shop bought apple juices but these taste everso much fresher.

Mike, the Bramley is quite sharp and is better mixed with a sweeter flavour or i suppose you could just put a little sugar or even honey in to sweeten. :)

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 22:07 »
!
Mike

They do look nice dont they :happy: I dont know if they put anything in the shop bought apple juices but these taste everso much fresher.

Mike, the Bramley is quite sharp and is better mixed with a sweeter flavour or i suppose you could just put a little sugar or even honey in to sweeten. :)

I'm glad you said that because I'm debating whether the tree is actually a Bramley. The juice does not require sweetening - made plenty last year which was very much a glut year.
Do Bramleys turn red? These apples will go quite red (not completely) if allowed to ripen on the tree, yet they look very similar to the Bramley in your photograph.
They also cook like a bramley, but when fully ripe, they can be consumed like an eating apple, only being a little sharp. Is there any variety close by to the Bramley?

Mike

Spana

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 22:25 »
I think there is a big variation in Bramleys.

I have  two Bramley trees here and the juice tastes different from each. 

I've also noticed that each batch of juice from the same apple variety and from the same tree will taste a little different  each time.

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 13:10 »
Ooh they look delicious. You could always make apple jelly with the juice or if you bottle it in the same way as for jam I think it keeps longer. I've just bought a steam juicer which claims to steralise the juice due to the really high heat used to produce the juice and if you bottle it straight away into the bottles with spring loaded tops it keeps for ages. Not used it yet so will let you know if it works!
I have a kilo of Laxtons and want to make some apple jelly - will I need to add another variety to it do you think - based on your tasting?
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

Spana

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 13:33 »
I wouldn't make apple jelly with good whole apples.  If you are making pies or anything where you are peeling apples make your jelly with the peelings and cores. 
Just cook the peels and cores in a little water and drip it through a jelly bag, its good enough, honest, but cooking apples will give you the best set.  :)

Our Laxtons do taste very sweet but that could be because we are drinking the juice of sharper apples as well.  I did Laxton and blackberry for breakfast this morning and it was gorgeous. :happy:

My juicer is an attachment on my Magi-mix and its brilliant.  Means i can do just a pint or so when we need it and drink it fresh. :happy:

A farm shop not far from me is selling fresh apple juice juiced to order for £2.50 a small glass. :ohmy:

maxyboo

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 22:31 »
Never been keen on apple juice but I had some at a B and B last year which they made fresh with their own apples and added elderfower. It was gorgeous.

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 07:01 »
Marvellous!

Is there a way to get the juice out without a Magi Mix?

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 08:48 »
Marvellous!

Is there a way to get the juice out without a Magi Mix?

"Steam Juicer"  :)  :)  :)
I'm in love with my new piece of kit - you can use it as a normal steamer when not juicing fruit and veg in case you need to justify the extra expense  ;)
Google Steam Juicer and check out the Westfalia one.

xx
Apple juice

Started by gobs on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 11:18
by gobs
clip
Apple Juice

Started by grendel on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2015, 19:23
by grendel
xx
Apple juice help

Started by sorrel on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post January 15, 2008, 17:55
by David.
xx
Re-using bottles for Apple juice

Started by Hitwoman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2016, 07:08
by Hitwoman

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 38 queries.