Re-using bottles for Apple juice

• 7 Replies

Hitwoman

Re-using bottles for Apple juice
« on: May 04, 2016, 22:10 »
Hi - I am growing some cordon apples with the intention of juicing some of the fruit.  I buy apple juice from the local farmers market at the moment, so have some empty screw top bottles.  Can anyone advise if I could re-use these bottles and if so how do I ensure they are thoroughly cleaned and dried, as the necks are narrower than the jars I use for jamming.  Many thanks.

Growster...

Re: Re-using bottles for Apple juice
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 06:57 »
As long as they're well cleaned out, I wouldn't see a problem, but we found that the juice wouldn't last that long, even if sealed properly.

We have an ordinary juicer which is pretty good at what it's supposed to do, but the apple juice takes some time to settle - even a couple of days or more, so you may end up bottling some sludge which will need to be racked off!

Mind you, fresh apple juice is just fabulous, so we just make up a litre jug, and leave it in the fridge to separate out. The clear juice can then be easily taken out!

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 07:12 »
I don't know how professional sellers make their juice last, and suppose they use a preservative of some description!

(If you are so minded, try your own fresh apple juice with a few drops of Calvados liqueur, it's one of the Autumn's best treasures)!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 08:25 by New shoot »

Hitwoman

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 22:15 »
Thank you for your responses.  I am concerned about during the bottles as the necks are narrow.  I woul usually was jam jars and then leave them to dry in a warm oven, but not sure this would work for bottles with a narrow neck.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 06:16 »
Narrow necks would restrict the flow of juice if there is any 'settlement' - and 'risement' (can't think of the right word, it's too early)! The juice just wouldn't get through that in a normal bottle.

Jars sound like a good idea, but again, fresh apple juice won't last longer than a couple of weeks max!

grendel

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 15:34 »
we put ours in sealed plastic jugs in the fridge, it doesnt last long enough to go off.
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

grinling

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 20:36 »
use a steriliser, milton is good and leaves no taste. I use a steriser from the wine making section in wilko for the homebrew or try ebay.

http://www.vigopresses.co.uk/AdditionalDepartments/Header-Content/Make-apple-juice/Storing-apple-juice/How-to-preserve-apple-juice-2

This is from a google search.

Hitwoman

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 07:08 »
although I freeze fruit for cooking, I never thought of freezing juice.  Very helpful. Thank you.

xx
Cordial/Juice Bottles

Started by David. on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post November 03, 2007, 17:50
by muntjac
xx
Apple juice help

Started by sorrel on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post January 15, 2008, 17:55
by David.
xx
Apple juice

Started by gobs on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 11:18
by gobs
xx
Apple juice anyone

Started by Spana on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post September 19, 2011, 11:10
by Maryann

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 37 queries.