A Man a carrot and a fly

• 28 Replies

pa snips

A Man a carrot and a fly
« on: March 28, 2015, 11:35 »
Hi All  :D
Over the last 3 years I have been carrot root fly free
Being convinced being taught that the smell attracts the fly I am now fly free ..................well the carrots are
When touched or rubbed against the aromas rise and the fly homes in so I only EVER touch when harvesting and dispose of the leaves in a plastic bag firstly then compost later
I only use pelleted seed easier to sow at 75mm apart no thining or waste at all,The cost of pelleted seed is justified £1 for 500 seed where as some ordinary carrot seed is dearer and lots wasted
I have tried most of the methods
This works if you plant on a bed which was carrot free from the previous season in case any grubs are there

Christine

Re: A Man a carrot and a fly
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 12:34 »
I had no carrots last year so the fly ate the parsley instead. ;)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 13:21 »
This works if you plant on a bed which was carrot free from the previous season in case any grubs are there

or if there is no carrot fly in your area.  If there is, this/next year then they will invade your crop.

No doubt being careful with thinning etc. and/or planting a resistant variety and/or using companion planting (Garlic/whatever) "Helps" but for my money even one or two fly can create huge amounts of damage, so "resistance" is not enough and I want "avoidance" so my advice is to net the whole crop, not just a wall around them because "they can't fly very high" - only one or two need to be swept up on an air current to do damage - build a complete walls-and-roof netting structure around them.

pa snips

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 13:58 »

No doubt being careful with thinning

As I mentioned NO thinning or touching at all a bit hard to except but it works
the only way is to try it out

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 14:05 »
I hope you are right, and they stay fly-free, cos I still wonder if you've just been lucky.

pa snips

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 14:22 »
I hope you are right, and they stay fly-free, cos I still wonder if you've just been lucky.

4th year now I must be very lucky 

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 14:27 »
I think a lot of it is luck. I didn't get leek moth this year and I'm counting myself lucky. I can't say I'll never get it again.

As I'm surrounded by numerous other plots with carrot fly, I'd never dare to suggest that careful harvesting and thinning alone would be the solution to everyone's carrot fly problem. The only thing I would ever rely on is a good physical barrier.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 15:26 »

Or there is no fly in your area :) or maybe you are harvesting early / young carrots?, before any serious damage is done.

digga666

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 16:00 »
I was told recently by someone  who should know these things that the companion planting of carrots with strong smelling other vegetables like onions etc for protection from carrot fly is a complete myth.

pa snips

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 16:19 »

Or there is no fly in your area :) or maybe you are harvesting early / young carrots?, before any serious damage is done.

I  grow right through the season so its not early cropping before activity, plenty of flies attacking near neighbours carrots Why is there such disbelief?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 16:26 »

I  grow right through the season so its not early cropping before activity, plenty of flies attacking near neighbours carrots

That's reassuring to hear. (I was meaning leaving in the ground and not harvesting until Winter, rather than successional cropping, but you may be meaning that too :) )

Why is there such disbelief?

'Coz if it were that easy no one would be having a problem :)

pa snips

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 16:38 »

I  grow right through the season so its not early cropping before activity, plenty of flies attacking near neighbours carrots

That's reassuring to hear. (I was meaning leaving in the ground and not harvesting until Winter, rather than successional cropping, but you may be meaning that too :) )

Why is there such disbelief?

'Coz if it were that easy no one would be having a problem :)
Sometimes its the simple things that work best

Edit to fix quote
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 18:46 by Yorkie »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 18:46 »
We're not saying you're telling porkies, pa snips, it's just that many forum members have tried growing in exactly the same way as you describe, with the results that they describe - i.e. failure of the crop.

They are therefore presenting a balanced response to your statement that if you grow in x way, the result will always be y.  Their experience demonstrates that the result might be z.  There is really no need to dismiss their experience outright or imply that they must be doing it wrong.

New growers need to be aware that different results can occur from similar growing conditions so that they can make an informed decision on how they choose to grow, or at least of the possible range of outcomes.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

oldgrunge

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 20:00 »
Have tried being careful when thinning, various companion plantings, growing at height, and having a vertical barrier, result - carrot fly every time. I now cover my carrot crop with an "Enviromesh" cloche from the moment I sow them, no fly at all.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

pa snips

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 20:27 »
We're not saying you're telling porkies, pa snips, it's just that many forum members have tried growing in exactly the same way as you describe, with the results that they describe - i.e. failure of the crop.

They are therefore presenting a balanced response to your statement that if you grow in x way, the result will always be y.  Their experience demonstrates that the result might be z.  There is really no need to dismiss their experience outright or imply that they must be doing it wrong.

New growers need to be aware that different results can occur from similar growing conditions so that they can make an informed decision on how they choose to grow, or at least of the possible range of outcomes.

Has anyone tried doing as I do as in" not touching the carrots until harvesting time" I would guess not I am not saying this is the only way but it works for me and some other local growers......Its nice to share good tips with others without getting patronising responses   

xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador
question
CARROT FLY

Started by oggy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 17:12
by Digger Tom
xx
Carrot fly

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

76 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 20:58
by LeeR
xx
After Carrot fly

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 13:29
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 37 queries.