Carrot Fly

• 14 Replies

Flump

• Experienced Member
Carrot Fly
« on: April 10, 2013, 22:11 »
Sorry if this has been asked before! I have never used enviromesh. Do you put it down when you plant the carrot seeds and leave it on until they're ready? thanks

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Carrot Fly
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 22:15 »
You put it on as soon as the seedlings show.

Then never take it off! (Apart from weeding and harvesting).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

taytors

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 22:21 »
Ive always heeded the advice a old boy who swore by companion planting
i plant a row of onions either side of the carrots.So far its always worked :) :)
scrumpy is organic and one of your five a day.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 22:24 »
Lucky you!

There are quite a few on here who could overturn that advice. I've not tried it myself, but I've seen it not work with others on our site.

We have a major carrot fly problem and the only effective prevention is a physical barrier.

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 22:39 »
Carrot fly apparently emerge about the same time as the first cow parsley comes into flower and the nectar is their favorite food source. That is usually mid-May. So, in theory, there is no need to put mesh over them until probably May 1st.

Usually my early March sown carrots emerge, produce the first proper leaves and get their first hoeing before I cover them.

This year they were sown this week so I they will probably only just be emerged by the end of April. Dare I leave them uncovered much longer than that? Will the carrot flies be later this year? Who knows?

al78

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 23:12 »
Ive always heeded the advice a old boy who swore by companion planting
i plant a row of onions either side of the carrots.So far its always worked :) :)

I have heard that companion planting is very hit and miss.

I did wonder if inter-planting carrots and onions, surrounding the bed with a continuous border of chives and sprinkling chopped leaves from aromatic herbs like rosemary and sage over the bed would disguise the carrot scent sufficiently to put the fly off.

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 23:15 »
Companion planting is one of those ideas that looks as if it might work in theory but most of us who've tried it over the years would agree with DD that the only defence is a physical barrier.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 01:12 »
We have carrot fly on the plot - I don't use enviromesh mostly because I have none - it seems very dear to buy.

I have fiddled about with a half-hearted go at companion planting. The plants may have beed good friends but the fly weren't that put off at all.

This year, unless the carrot fly have long haul tickets, I think I may have out-witted the little **ds. I am putting in a couple of rows of carrots at the far end of the garden in a neighbourhood where no one else grows vegetables only flowers and not that many of those.

I thought it worth a try.  ;)

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 08:32 »

This year, unless the carrot fly have long haul tickets, I think I may have out-witted the little **ds. I am putting in a couple of rows of carrots at the far end of the garden in a neighbourhood where no one else grows vegetables only flowers and not that many of those.

I thought it worth a try.  ;)

You have given the plot away. They log on to this forum.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 08:40 »
Although the fact that carrot flies are weak fliers can be exploited to give a measure of protection by growing carrots higher than about 2'6" from the ground, it is also the reason why companion planting is hit and miss - they are easily blown off course and if they happen to find themselves in your carrot bed they'll know what to do!

Anyone who has experienced an entire sowing of promising-looking healthy green carrot foliage turning red and discovering the maggoty remains of the crop underneath probably doesn't need advising to use a secure barrier like enviromesh, much as I'm sure we'd all prefer not to have to.

(Salmo: hopefully they're not that smart!   ::)   :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 08:52 »
this question appears time and again and i can only repeat what DD and others say:if you plant your seeds then cover with enviromesh and make sure all the edges are buried it is 100% effective.all other methods are less than 100% at best and totally ineffective at worst. the initial outlay will you pay back in your first year.
happy carroting :)

Garden-shed-potter

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 20:55 »
Thanks for the advice all.Think I will buy some Enviromesh!

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 21:03 »
We had 99% success with debris netting instead of Enviromesh last year.

The one percent we discovered about two months after we'd had most of them, and by then it didn't really matter!

Like everyone says though, it has to be tucked well in, but it is much cheaper!

We'll be doing the same this year too.

Garden-shed-potter

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 08:49 »
It was interesting to learn some males overwinter in soil....

xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador
xx
Carrot Fly

Started by BumbleJo on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 06, 2015, 09:47
by digger1
xx
Carrot fly

Started by mattwragg94 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 21, 2012, 15:50
by LilacSandy
xx
Carrot's have the Fly

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 21, 2008, 14:23
by love-my-plot

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 30 queries.