Missing Chicken

• 6 Replies

thechicken

Missing Chicken
« on: February 20, 2012, 08:07 »
For the last 8 months we have been the adoptive parents of a white bantum leghorn chicken. She was probably about 2 months old when she arrived and has since been a member of the family. She has been ruined and has had the run of the house, garden and lane.
When she initially arrived we told the owner, via a neighbour that we had one of their chickens and to come and collect - which they did not.
2 weeks ago she went missing from down the lane. We are convinced that the original owner has come back for her.
On the basis that B was never our chicken in the first place and we have no proof that he has taken her is there anything we can do - we presume not.
If this is the case - will she have settled with other chickens by now, will she have been bullied - I cannot begin to explain the heartache this has caused but I guess I just need to know she will be OK - any thoughts from anybody?     

kegs

Re: Missing Chicken
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 10:49 »
I'm sorry your chicken has gone missing.  I wouldn't think that there is anything that you can do about it, especially as she's been gone for 2 weeks.  Maybe the only way forward is to consider getting some new chickens to care for which will help you get over the loss of your 'foster' chicken.  :(

YoungChickenLover

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 20:58 »
Sorry to here about your hen. When one of my ex bats died, my friends didn't understand why I was so upset, but what they don't know is that chickens are such characters, and you really become attached to them.
You could get some auto sexing chicks to soften the blow. I have two Cotswold legbar hens, who I've had from 18 weeks. They lay loverly blue eggs, have cute tufts on their heads and are great characters.
Best wishes
Weasel and the Chooks  8)

thechicken

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 07:21 »
Thanks for your kind comments - it is great to think that there are people that understand.
I think I will need to leave it a year or so before getting another (more than 1 me thinks!) but your suggestion sounds great.
Thanks again!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 11:23 »
Sorry your hen has been reclaimed.  If you get a stray another time you could go to the owner and offer to pay for it.  Then they can't claim it back.

I have recently got a couple of Partridge Wyandotte Bantams and they are such characters.  My other hens, 2 Bovan Goldlines and 4 Black Rocks are also great but they now look like giants to the bantams.  I love their cute eggs which seem to have less proportion of white than the larger eggs which is always a bonus.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Beano

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 13:18 »
She was a little gift that was on loan to you just to let you know that you needed chickens in your life.
She sounded pretty feisty and I would think that she will settle in fine with the other chickens. I dont suppose her owner will let you visit her. No harm in asking.
El.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 20:11 »
There is another possibility. She could be broody and has taken herself off somewhere to make a nest and hide, in which case she may well come wandering back in another week or so.

xx
Tale of the missing chicken

Started by Springlands on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 10:04
by Springlands
xx
Broodys egg missing- would a rat take it away?

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 14:57
by Oliveview
xx
Anastasias gone missing again!

Started by hillfooter on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 14:19
by ANHBUC
xx
Missing Chickens

Started by Thingy on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 09:35
by scabs

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 39 queries.