My first loss

• 10 Replies

VickyW

• Experienced Member
My first loss
« on: February 21, 2012, 17:08 »
I had my first loss this afternoon, Silkie, my Warren died  :(

She had been ill virtually since we got her and tbh I was considering putting her out of her misery anyway, so I'm not that surprised or devastated that she's gone, she's better off now and the 2 months we had her she ate nice food and recieved the best care possible.

She was on Baytril a few weeks back for mycoplasma, which didn't clear up and seems to have died whilst laying her first egg for us (she'd already had a season in her previous home) The egg was intact but has some blood on the shell. It seems disrespectful to just throw away her gift to us, but I'd like the ok to eat it from you more experienced guys please

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: My first loss
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 20:41 »
 :(  Sorry your hen lost her battle, but as you said she has been looked after right up to the end.

I don't have any advice on the egg but hopefully someone else will have the knowledge you need.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

helens-hens

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 16:06 »
Hi Vicky, really sorry to hear about you losing your hen.I understand what you mean about just throwing away the egg, it does seem an awful waste & shame in the circumstances. However 2 things come to mind, firstly she was on Baytril which I am quite sure would have an egg withdrawal period. Secondly, is there a chance that, as it didn't clear up, she wasn't suffering from mycoplasma in which case you don't know what she may have been suffering & carrying.

I must admit I have never done this but if you want to keep it as a momento what about emptying it and perhaps decorating it? Hope this doesn't come across as a banal idea but at least it wouldn't totally be wasting the egg.

RIP Silkie x
Helen

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 16:40 »
Thanks Helen x
She'd been of Baytril for a few weeks so I'm sure it'd be clear of that, but as you say, who knows what she was carrying which I wondered if cooking would kill any bacteria anyway?

I also thought of cooking it and giving it back to my girls, but again, will it carry infection?

I had hoped more people might help out by now  :(

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 11:15 »
I wouldnt want to eat an egg which came from a poorly chicken, just not worth it. It probably hasn't got anything that could be passed on, but I would put sentimentality aside just in case.

lmpd

• Experienced Member
  • peas & love
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 12:32 »
Firstly, sorry for your loss, we've been there and it's not a nice place, especially if like us - your girls are pets that happen to give you eggs!!!

As for the egg, do you have a dog? If so, give it to him/her - a raw egg is ever so good for a dogs coat!!!

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 14:21 »
Firstly, sorry for your loss, we've been there and it's not a nice place, especially if like us - your girls are pets that happen to give you eggs!!!

As for the egg, do you have a dog? If so, give it to him/her - a raw egg is ever so good for a dogs coat!!!

Yes I do, good thought, they eat all sorts of could be infected rubbish anyway  :blink:

Thanks for the thoughts guys, on a positive, my Wyandotte laid for the first time ever today so very happy chicken lover now  :lol:

helens-hens

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 16:01 »
Every cloud has a silver lining as they say (well usually!)  :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 21:45 »
First egg is always something special.  What colour wyandotte do you have?  I have recently got 2 Partridge Wyandotte bantams, they are so cute and their eggs are delicious.   :)

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 19:34 »
Hi ANHBUC,
She's black and white, very attractive  :D Hope her eggs will grow though as they're very small at the moment considering the size of her

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 23:12 »
I love the markings on mine, am quite addicted to bantams now.   :D

My two are laying between 40 and 43 gram eggs which I think will be normal for bantams.  They have lovely bright yolks.

The last of my quail started laying last week and its first egg only weighed 7 g she has since laid two more eggs each weighing 13 g.  Your eggs will gradually increase in time so you can look forward to larger eggs.

xx
Sad loss

Started by bantam novice on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post January 03, 2012, 10:39
by joyfull
xx
Our first loss - a very sad day

Started by Colernehens on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 22:37
by Colernehens

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 39 queries.