Game on Pussy Cat!

• 8 Replies

Elswhere

Game on Pussy Cat!
« on: April 06, 2011, 21:00 »

Not sure if this is the correct place to post so apologies if not but I thought this might be a good place to start...

Been out this eve to do a bit more work on my new raised beds to discover that a cat had 'been' in my freshly hoe-d soil.   :ohmy:

I'm reluctant to nip to the Zoo for tiger poo straight away but wondered if any one had any suggestions for keeping neighbour's kitty from mistaking my soon to be veg patch for a King Size litter tray!

Thanks

:)
New gardener with small garden.

Knowledge nil : Enthusiasm plenty... aiming to make it a draw.

maxyboo

Re: Game on Pussy Cat!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 21:42 »
Can you drape some netting over the beds? Cats are supposed to dislike citrus smells so perhaps scattering some orange peel over the area would help.

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 21:59 »
Had the same problem today when i went to plant stuff and it absolutely stinks. In a couple of other beds i sorted last week i put a load of twigs over the top and that seemed to stop them going in there. Also the netting is a good idea and works well.
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 09:58 »
Please keep replies sensible with no methods that will actually harm cats, or the topic will be locked.

A recent thread to look at

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=73862.msg840915#msg840915

Elswhere

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 18:00 »
Thanks for the suggestions, and don't worry I've no desire to harm whichever kitty it was... just dissuade them from coming (going) in my garden.

Looks like I need to put the tarp back over...

:)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 19:05 »
We have a small plot bordered by a wall/fence on three sides, so this year OH has built a "cage" to keep cats, pigeons and Bella pup out. I think since we had the two dogs, and the fence being six feet, it discourages the cats from coming in so much. It's a bit of a scrabble if they try to get over the fence in a hurry when pursued by hounds.

They still "use" the front garden though. >:(

elrohana

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 21:12 »
I've had a kitty 'resident' on my lottie for the last 2 years, and in that time I have stopped losing seedlings and ripe fruit to the birds, and she only 'goes' under by blackcurrant bush.  A new male has moved into the area and is now engaged in a turf war with my little friend, suddenly things are being dug up and pooped on.  I am going to buy a water gun for every time I see this annoying interloper, and tuna for my little plot-protector!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 22:32 »
Used dried teabags with drops of eucalyptus oil scattered around your plot should deter the cat.  They also don't like wet soil so keep it watered in dry weather.  If all else fails, try a cat litter tray in a dry spot in your garden (under a garden chair will do).  Place some of the cats poo in it to encourage it to use the tray rather than your veg plot.  I know the cat is not yours but it might be the way to go while your plants get established.  Good luck.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

RichardA

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 23:31 »
local newspaper suggested tea bags sprayed with muscle relief spray
R

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 35 queries.