PC tablets and GPS.

• 4 Replies

Goosegirl

PC tablets and GPS.
« on: September 11, 2017, 15:26 »
If I got a tablet PC would it be possible to download a GPS locator to help with marking-out where the various Cockersand Abbey buildings used to be. Currently we use a tape-measure going from the Chapter House or another bit of standing wall, bang in a marker peg, measure another length then bang in a signed post. It's all a real faff so pinpointing where the signed posts should go would be great. We can't leave any permanent markers as the area is a grazing pasture for cows.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

8doubles

Re: PC tablets and GPS.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 16:00 »
There are android tablets with Google Earth on them as standard which give you the lat and long .

You still need a broadband signal though .
The proper GPS tracker units work anywhere with a line of sight to a satellite .
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 16:01 by 8doubles »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 16:29 »
If you have an Android phone, there are many free apps that you can download to utilise the inbuilt GPS. Latitude and longitude or Ordnance Survey Nation Grid readouts.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 18:57 »
Goosey, you've mentioned this before, and I don't think a GPS would be accurate enough.

I'm afraid you need to get a few young guys and gals up there with a tape measure, some tinctures, some posts, a few more tinctures,and some permanent markers to show the extent of the old buildings.

If I was closer, I'd do the job, but Kent to Cockersand is a bridge too far, sorry to say...

Why not ask a local surveying firm if they want to give field experience for their surveyors? They have to do a practical project for their finals, and this would be a superb way for them to do a scheme!

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 15:20 »
As always Growster, you come up with a simple "why didn't I think of that before" answer. My little booklet sales came up trumps sales-wise this last E.H. Open Day weekend despite the bad weather on Sunday, so I'll get my business head on, lubricate my best phone voice, and just go for it.

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 38 queries.